Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

sometimes youre forced to make a stand...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sometimes youre forced to make a stand...

and sometimes youre just bored with the current offerings. cheap, rattling finger pinching metal puzzles with limiting access to the instrument, and about as visually interesting as a good coat of dust. well, ive played with this concept in my mind for a while and decided it might be feasible. basically this is it:
    1.25" ect. 10' x 4 (3.175 cm steel tubing, 3.048 m)
    3/16" cable clamps x 4. (4.762mm)
    5/16" cable clamps x 8. (7.938mm)
    5/16" cold rolled steel rod 36" (1 meter)
    50' vinyl clad 3/16" steel cable (15.25 meters )
    10' cotton clothesline
    2 heavy duty rubber bungees
    approx 2 meters of non stretch climbing rope

it looks like with a bit of practice, one should be able to go from stand folded and gong in case, to gong hanging and set in under a minute... i spent a little time doing the numbers and followed the formula for the great pyramid, the golden ratio...
    ive another almost completed, a different animal more for meditation, etc... it should support my 46", 40" and 26" plus my larger kyeezee and still have the footprint of a single gong stand by using a simple cantilevered design. both stands will also allow for the gong to spin should one so require.
    the pyramid has a nice fluid side to side wash as well as front to back for single mallet work. the center rope doubles as a safety and support for when spinning or playing free floating.
    the pyramid folds up and assembles without need for locks or pins and using a single bungee, keeps all 4 cables neatly inside the folded legs for storage/ transport
    my p0asting days were numb bird... now im done... bye.

nice , looks like you could wrap with cover to stay dry too, tipi type

Comment

• Voltan
      Voltan commented
      Editing a comment
      that wouldnt be too hard to do. cheap insurance against a sudden rain or even for shade! reflective foil, lol!

• AJ6stringsting
      AJ6stringsting commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol .... Teepees, I come from a long line of " Teepee creepers ".... I guess ya gotta be a " Skin " to get that one.

might want to add a turn buckle for free spinning. Also, if you increase the angle/height of the pyramid, you can decrease the footprint
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

gotcha, but... turnbuckles are a weak link and rattle point... metal to metal, think ALL vibrational rates because things shake that normally wouldn't... and it changes the natural flow: the gongs change direction and use the rope twist as energy storage. with a turnbuckle, the player would be required to keep it moving constantly...
      you could decrease footprint but this radically narrows the legs... but very quickly its too high, not enough clearance at the top and less room laterally... ( I play indoors as well) a minimum of 56 inches for semi safely spinning a 46" gong. I looked into this very thing utilizing Nubian pyramids as the base but it opened up more challenges than it solved... I didn't just stick four pieces of ect together and call it good, my dimensions are within a 16th of an inch to being geometrically or mathematically correct for the great pyramid... its a thing... its based on the golden ratio and Pi, the circle squared... have you ever heard a turnbuckle squeak amplified through a gong? it isn't an ear friendly sound... ( I have heard it, using several friction reducers, lol) if I can figure out a lubricator or turnbuckle that works, that's something that would work for an idea a little further down the road... I'm currently working with a metal sculptor/ kinetic artist on a little something I thought up last year...

Comment

• daddymack
        daddymack commented
        Editing a comment
        fine, never mind, then...

• Voltan
        Voltan commented
        Editing a comment
        i appreciate all input. by the time i physically build something ive usually run through all the relevant or even possibly usable configurations, and in the end some kid sez: hey man, if you let a little air outta the tires the truck will not be stuck under the bridge anymore... and a simple change of perspective reminds me that i can be very short sighted.

Sublime..........
      http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

• Voltan
        Voltan commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you sir, i have this strange notion that i need to affix navigational lights...

• AlamoJoe
        AlamoJoe commented
        Editing a comment
        More light is good for many things

• Voltan
        Voltan commented
        Editing a comment
        aye sir! I try to keep a flashlight handy because in the dark, it makes it easier to find the beats ive dropped!

Love your work and imagination.
      Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

Comment

Originally posted by Dendy Jarrett View Post
        Love your work and imagination.
        thank you sir. i appreciate your help!

Comment

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand sounds
            http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

i didnt think this would hold multiple gongs effectively... i was wrong. very simple, the gongs hang directly from the clamps, simply drape the cord over the t- handle (wth respect to orientation 0f release!). angle and height are easily changed... over two hours of vigorous testing with no problems.

Comment

• AlamoJoe
                AlamoJoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Interesting capture of dog moment!

Dog Gong!

• Voltan
                Voltan commented
                Editing a comment
                i belong to him... he claimed me the second day he was here. we are working on manners so he can start going out.

• AlamoJoe
                AlamoJoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Well aware of your love for the species that share this earth with which do not walk as we, nor speak so shallow as we, nor destroy as we....

This the interior view? Deluxe pass only?
              Attached Files
              Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by Voltan View Post
                and sometimes youre just bored with the current offerings. cheap, rattling finger pinching metal puzzles with limiting access to the instrument, and about as visually interesting as a good coat of dust. well, ive played with this concept in my mind for a while and decided it might be feasible. basically this is it:
                1.25" ect. 10' x 4 (3.175 cm steel tubing, 3.048 m)
                3/16" cable clamps x 4. (4.762mm)
                5/16" cable clamps x 8. (7.938mm)
                5/16" cold rolled steel rod 36" (1 meter)
                50' vinyl clad 3/16" steel cable (15.25 meters )
                10' cotton clothesline
                2 heavy duty rubber bungees
                approx 2 meters of non stretch climbing rope

it looks like with a bit of practice, one should be able to go from stand folded and gong in case, to gong hanging and set in under a minute... i spent a little time doing the numbers and followed the formula for the great pyramid, the golden ratio...
                ive another almost completed, a different animal more for meditation, etc... it should support my 46", 40" and 26" plus my larger kyeezee and still have the footprint of a single gong stand by using a simple cantilevered design. both stands will also allow for the gong to spin should one so require.
                the pyramid has a nice fluid side to side wash as well as front to back for single mallet work. the center rope doubles as a safety and support for when spinning or playing free floating.
                the pyramid folds up and assembles without need for locks or pins and using a single bungee, keeps all 4 cables neatly inside the folded legs for storage/ transport
                Does the gong resonate better since it's practically suspended only at one point ?

Comment

• Voltan
                  Voltan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  you got me thinking on this, not sure but it would have to make some kind of difference, resonance and sustain most likely but id guess to a minimal effect? guess is the key word and admits lack of knowledge. to be such a simple, ancient instrument, its incredibly complex.

Originally posted by AJ6stringsting View Post

Does the gong resonate better since it's practically suspended only at one point ?
                ​aj? the gong is still suspended at two points? look at the original pic and its easier to see that there are actually two points, rubber suspended, that attach to the stand... the line running to the apex has no weight on it unless there is a failure in any of the primary connections... or unless I purposely detach the two points for the purpose of allowing the gong to spin. ( capability for spinning is part of the original design requirements). even when the single support at the top is employed, there are still two cords so technically as far as the gong is concerned, two points of suspension. now, I would hazard that tensions placed upon the support of the frame from differing angles and under various loads would have to have some impact on the physics of the instrument... everything else seems to. still only a guess so excellent question!

on the multiple gong use, there are still two points, albeit the top are only about 6 inches apart.
                ​I have found a basic flaw in this design. indoor use requires a ten foot ceiling minimum. wait, scratch that... I love it! thank you for starting this question! I just figured it out and it reduces weight drastically and will pack into the prius!

Comment

this is the smallest one yet. ive cut out almost 20 feet of tubing/ pipe in exchange for two ratchet straps. again easy access to all instruments with capability to spin at least the primary gong. its a simple suspension arm cantilever type thing and im getting less than a half inch deflection at the distal end. ive got black ratchet straps but the yellow makes it easy to see whats going on. the black ones basically disappear.

Comment

what a dilemma!! time to start from scratch, again. it is confirmed, my wife commissioned a 52" chau gong from a factory in china. these stands are waaaaay toooo small! the gong will be here tomorrow and isuppose i could always hang them from one of the oak trees... time to do the math and get some tubing
                    Last edited by Voltan; 05-30-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X