Beginner asking for some good ear to tell me where i stand with this

Joel1988

• Members

So i jjust recently starting singing and i am really shy about my singing. I have sent it to friends and so on but i feel i just am not getting the right kind of feedback from them i wondered if perfect strangers might be better judges since they aren't gonna give me crap sort to say. 

here is a link to when i sang perfect day by lou reed. Hope i can get a nice honest opinion of wether or not there is some talent i can persue and go take some singing lesson or just keep is as a hobby i.e. singing in my room having some fun thank you

https://soundcloud.com/kenneth-van-hissenhoven/perfectdaykenneth

• Moderators

Hi there,

I will be completely honest with you. The pitch isn't quite there yet and tonality is a bit on the nasal side. But good effort nonetheless. If you're new to singing or haven't sung much in the past then you need to put in more effort and practice more. If you are serious about improvement then I would recommend getting voice lessons with a good teacher. At the time being I would suggest practicing simple scale exercises, or practice singing songs with simpler melodies. Be sure to record yourself and listen back to the recording, then you will be able to know what needs work.

• Members

Your voice is shaking like crazy. Are you nervous when you record?

Otherwise, you're having significant trouble hitting the correct pitches.

What is your own opinion? Do you hear something that you might've heard on the radio, or is there something about your recording that sounds 'off'?

EDIT: I listened to your pokémon recording also. And generally you were below the correct pitch. But there were times when you almost hit the correct pitch, so don't give up just yet. You're not a hopeless case!

• Members

Right now each word is seperated it's as if you are saying each word individualy rather than treating each phrase of the song as a line of music that needs to be woven together and consistent. 

To work on this you need to just breath out through each pharse so rather than stopping and restarting everything on each word just say the first word and don't restart the coordination after that, just keep breathing out until the phrase is finished.

What I'm talking about really is consistent compression and airflow, you can find out more about this at either of the link below.

Technique always comes before pitch so don't worry about it being in tune just yet, that will come in time and is one of the easiest parts of singing.

Carl 

SS YouTube

My YouTube

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hi me again. I have had some singing lessons now and kinda wanna hear what ya guys think. Wanna know if my lessons are at least doing SOMETHING lol tell me what ya think. Been singing a bit rougher songs too. Maybe not the perfect recording this but ya know never seem to get it perfect at all. http://soundcloud.com/kenneth-van-hissenhoven/11th-trys-the-charm So is there some imprpvement is all im after.

Archived