What do you think of these singing covers?

Felpereda

• Members

Hey guys! I'm new to these forums and I like posting YouTube covers with some of my buddies. I have two covers that I want to use for a performance and wanted to know which one would be better. I am always open to criticism and like getting advice from people that don't know me. Thanks guys! Here are the covers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9KdxR3CA4

• Members

Excellent singing. You've picked the perfect key for your voice and there no stress or strain just sweet melody. If I had to choose I would go with the first one. I've never heard either song before so I'm going with the one I enjoyed just based on the song itself... 

• Members

Love them both!  Not going to lie these are not songs I would normally listen to but because of the quality of your voice I was in for both of them.  There a lot of people with good voices but something about them isn't listenable for a long period of time...yours definitely is.  Keep it going, great job!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I've noticed that all your songs are very slow and low energy level. Maybe that is what you are aiming for, but my experience is that actually performing often calls for variety and more tempo/intensity. The places I normally play, I typically play most of the songs uptempo and very few slow tunes. Maybe 1 or max 2 slow tunes in a 4 hours night. When I try to play more slow tunes, people would start complaining.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thank you everyone for taking the time to check out and give feed back! 

I do sing a lot of slow songs, only because I feel more comfortable singing them, and feel like it shows more of my voice. I do like uptempo songs though and am doing one soon haha!

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I've noticed that all your songs are very slow and low energy level. Maybe that is what you are aiming for' date=' but my experience is that actually performing often calls for variety and more tempo/intensity. The places I normally play, I typically play most of the songs uptempo and very few slow tunes. Maybe 1 or max 2 slow tunes in a 4 hours night. When I try to play more slow tunes, people would start complaining.

[/quote']Yeah I agree. I always find myself singing slower songs, but then I tell myself I need to do an uptempo song. Then I hear a really good slow song, listen to it on a repeat and get obsessed and want to cover it. I'm weird haha I don't know, but I agree I need to do more uptempo

• 9 months later...
  • Members

Hello! Bumping up my old thread since it's almost been a year. I appreciate all your guys' feedback so far!

I recently got a microphone to improve the audio quality.

Here are few I have done since:

- Radiohead's Creep

- The Fray - Look After You

• Members

I listened to the Radiohead tune. You may be on to a vibe I'm not getting - maybe zoned for chicks or emo types. I hear that tune in karaoke bars and it's usually bitter and sarcastic. Just from a critical standpoint, yours sounds timid and apologetic. I'd like to hear a more powerful rendition.

• Members
I listened to the Radiohead tune. You may be on to a vibe I'm not getting - maybe zoned for chicks or emo types. I hear that tune in karaoke bars and it's usually bitter and sarcastic. Just from a critical standpoint' date=' yours sounds timid and apologetic. I'd like to hear a more powerful rendition.[/quote']

Thanks for the feedback! I've gotten comments like this where my voice doesn't fit the song's "message" of being more dark/powerful. I believe it's because of the tone of my voice. I would say I have a softer voice. The bridge in the song Creep, is meant to be powerful and a lot of people sing that part in their chest voice to belt. I'm not really a belter. But I totally get what you are saying. I wish I had a more powerful voice along with the soft side of it.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback! I've gotten comments like this where my voice doesn't fit the song's "message" of being more dark/powerful. I believe it's because of the tone of my voice. I would say I have a softer voice. The bridge in the song Creep, is meant to be powerful and a lot of people sing that part in their chest voice to belt. I'm not really a belter. But I totally get what you are saying. I wish I had a more powerful voice along with the soft side of it.

Well singing out some wont hurt. One positive thing I see since you like singing in that manner is you have a built in opportunity to develop subtle nuance and control in that small range. This can be a recipe for some high resolution detail. IF you go there.

• Members

Well singing out some wont hurt. One positive thing I see since you like singing in that manner is you have a built in opportunity to develop subtle nuance and control in that small range. This can be a recipe for some high resolution detail. IF you go there.

True! And yes, very true. I know which songs fit my voice etc. As far as recipe for high resolution detail, would you like to explain :p

• Members

I'm not a voice expert. What I'm talking about is the soft, quiet delivery. And high resolution detail because of the small dynamic range. IOW if you sang in a big, show voice, the vibrato, inflection, and dynamics would have to encompass a broader range and the nuance you develop in your normal range can show up as finer detail. ie. Higher Resolution

• Members
I'm not a voice expert. What I'm talking about is the soft, quiet delivery. And high resolution detail because of the small dynamic range. IOW if you sang in a big, show voice, the vibrato, inflection, and dynamics would have to encompass a broader range and the nuance you develop in your normal range can show up as finer detail. ie. Higher Resolution

Ahhhh gotcha. Thanks for explaining

• 4 weeks later...

Archived