Beginner choir soprano, need help

Steel_Lady

• Members

Recently I started singing in a university choir. I was playing piano as a kid but I never sung. They told me I am soprano and I protested since my comfortable voice begins at E3 and I can sing up to F5 using my chest voice. They told me again I am soprano. We have 3 hours of choir on Wednesdays and since they force me to sing soprano it is all in high register and it hurts and the high notes are of bad quality. I need help. I believe I can produce a good quality tones in lower register. My questions are: can everybody develop a head voice? Does it necessarily extend your range? I watched some videos how to produce a head voice but I cannot manage it. What should I do?

• Members

Well, it is because I could not sing low before and I kind of extended my range 3-4 notes down. And since I read that some sopranos sing high notes only in their head voice, if I don't have the head voice, does it mean I am not soprano or just that I did not train it?

• Moderators

I haven't heard you sing, so I can't be certain if you're a soprano or not. Just so you know, just because you aren't able to use your head voice doesn't necessarily mean that you're not a soprano. On the contrary, even if you are a lower female voice, you should still be able to use and develop head voice. Sometimes when a singer overproduces their chest voice, their head voice might get weaker. This happens to a lot of singers who belt a lot and push chest voice. The gap between head voice and chest voice eventually gets wider and wider. If you want to develop your head voice then you should try practicing scales that use the tiny "u" vowel and staccato exercises.

• Members

Seems like you are describing exactly my situation. I am pushing my chest voice too much. It has probably developed as a bad habit since I like voices sounding strong and dramatic. Sometimes I can hit G without a problem but in other situations even F is impossible.

Archived