Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too old to front a rock band?

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Too old to front a rock band?

    Right to the point...anyone here 40,50 singing lead in a rock band? At the ripe ol age of 50, I want to give this a shot. I have the talent to back it up, just not sure if the club, bar crowds will go along with it or not. Anyone have any experience like this? Thanks for your thoughts.

    My wife and friends say, the crowds won't care once they hear me sing, but you know how kind friends and family can be. lol...


  • #2

    hmm... no one else in their 40s, 50s (wanting to) fronting a rock band? ruh roh...

    Comment


    • arteg
      arteg commented
      Editing a comment

      If you want to sing, you must do it!


  • #3

    Actually, the average age of people in the music industry in this day and age is 42.  So really, 50 isn't THAT unusual.  I've jammed with people quite a bit older than me in the past, to be honest, I don't think age is as big an issue as people think it is.  Like your friends say, no one'll mind if you can back it up with the music.  I say go for it.

    Comment


    • OldVox
      OldVox commented
      Editing a comment

      Good points, and thanks for the comments! Still...hoping for other mature singers to chime in. lol...


    • staticsound
      staticsound commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you talking originals or covers? I spent almost 10 years playing the cover band scene in Vegas, and I was always the young one...I'm 32. The majority of cover band singers in "working bands" were in their 40s and 50s.

      Regardless, if this is something you want to do, then why the hell not? You only live once man...now get to gigging!

  • #4

    Go for it. Just make sure of one thing: Make sure you can really nail the stuff you are singing and can do it for 4 hours a night if you intend to do any drinking. I have a friend i have  done everything but sang for, and he doesnt; want to do any kind of practicing, and he can;t understand hy his vocie is gone by th end of their third set, and he does it weekend after weekend.
    His band asked me what they can do and he wasn't too happy when I told them to repalce him. If the guy won't train to strengthen up his vocal muscles, and he wants to drink liquor and smoke cigarettes all night until his voice is dead by the end of the third set, you have one option left - replace him with somebody who can do the gig. Even with teh drinking and smoking, if he would just train his voice to build the muscles up, he would be able to sing the whole night.

     

     

    So, that is really it - just make sure you can sing 4 sets. in fact, build a set list of 5 50-minute sets (just make 5 CD's) and pick a day and sing them all in a row and see how far you get. And make sure you throw in a variety of material and stuff that is both easy and stretches your limits. you want it to bea real-world situation for training.

    Why  sets?
    If you can sing all 5 of them, then singing  4 45-minute sets won't be an issue at all.


    Support your fellow HC members!
    PTD-1
    For Cables & Racks, Roadcases and Case Hardware : Audiopile.net
    For Vocal help: Vocal Forum Moderator Al Koehn's The Secrets of Successful Singing,









    Originally Posted by agedhorse


    You can't bridge these amps (yay).

    Comment


    • TIMKEYS
      TIMKEYS commented
      Editing a comment

      Consume wrote:

      Go for it. Just make sure of one thing: Make sure you can really nail the stuff you are singing and can do it for 4 hours a night if you intend to do any drinking. I have a friend i have  done everything but sang for, and he doesnt; want to do any kind of practicing, and he can;t understand hy his vocie is gone by th end of their third set, and he does it weekend after weekend.
      His band asked me what they can do and he wasn't too happy when I told them to repalce him. If the guy won't train to strengthen up his vocal muscles, and he wants to drink liquor and smoke cigarettes all night until his voice is dead by the end of the third set, you have one option left - replace him with somebody who can do the gig. Even with teh drinking and smoking, if he would just train his voice to build the muscles up, he would be able to sing the whole night.

       

       

      So, that is really it - just make sure you can sing 4 sets. in fact, build a set list of 5 50-minute sets (just make 5 CD's) and pick a day and sing them all in a row and see how far you get. And make sure you throw in a variety of material and stuff that is both easy and stretches your limits. you want it to bea real-world situation for training.

      Why  sets?
      If you can sing all 5 of them, then singing  4 45-minute sets won't be an issue at all.



      I think your points hold for any band member no matter what age you are.   You are there to perform, and not party.  I play in two different bands that are both fronted by 58 year old guys.  What do they have in common?  they both have been full time for 30 years and knock out 5 and 6 shows a week and have for years. They work in multiple formats , solo duo and band formats.  Neither smoke , and one drinks and the other doesnt. The one that drinks , does not touch a drop of booze till the show is over and the gear is struck from the stage. I feel blessed to be working with these two guys.  Like the guys say , go for it 


    • rodclement
      rodclement commented
      Editing a comment

      I am 42 and front 2 bands, an acoustic trio, and a hard rock (think metal!) band, both active and playing out on a regular basis, and I am the youngest in both bands. Here in my North NJ area, every single frontman/singer worth his chops is as old, or older than me, sure there are plenty of bands with younger kids, just haven't found any with a real good singer yet...

      Rod

       


    • deepflight
      deepflight commented
      Editing a comment

  • #5

    Hi, I started singing in my first band at the age of 49, and five years on we're still gigging.

    We're a covers band with a basic set covering punk/new wave stuff from the 70s, plus some early Who, and venturing into the 90s and 00s (Kaiser Cheifs, Fratellis, etc.). Mostly up tempo stuff.

    I'd sung in amateur dramatic plays a couple of times before, but never in a band. Of course I wish I'd done it when I was a teenager, but this is great as most of our stuff is the soundtrack to my teenage years.

    Most difficult thing is actually getting four middle-aged guys together on the same day for rehearsal - if we were 17 we'd just hang out in one band member's bedroom or garage weekly, but with kids' rugby, ballet, swimming, and other family commitments it's a nightmare.

    As for the crowds going along with you, we find we tend to attract bookings from, and audiences of, those who will remember our set from their own teenage years, so it's never been a problem. 

    I actually find my wife is one of the few who can be trusted to give an honest opinion!

    Do it. You won't regret it.

    Steve

     

    Comment


    • Scott Doolittle
      Scott Doolittle commented
      Editing a comment

      I am 30 and seem to find I have more respect/admiration for singers that are my age or older.


    • ido1957
      ido1957 commented
      Editing a comment

      Scott Doolittle wrote:

      I am 30 and seem to find I have more respect/admiration for singers that are my age or older.


      Probably because they are not as drunk on stage


  • #6

    This is awesome, I am 37 and just started playing music (a former student of mine taight me and now we play in a band), if you get up on stage and kick butt i would much rather pay money to see a kick ass 49 year old play with energy and experince than a whole lot of other things.  Good luck to you!  And what is the end result anyway?  To get famous...no it is to have a good time and enjoy life, do it up! 

    Comment


    • #7

      Chuck Berry is 87 & still plays occasionally here in St Louis.

      Comment


      • #8

        sure.  I'm 57 and still front a rock band.  This current bunch is just an average, non prestigious cover bar band, but I have no intention of quitting.  Maybe start another band with some other friends, but not quit.

         recorded with a cheap camera phone but what the heck...................

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwmAmswonvk


        edit: I'd note that old mic stand with the gooseneck is older than my son, who is playing bass.  ehheh. 

         

        <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OwmAmswonvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

        Comment


        • #9
          Do what you think is the best.
          Follow your liking that wouldn't hurt anyone.
          What other people think of you is none of your business.
          So, give it a shot!
          To discover all the PROVEN secret you need to be a professional singer, visit:Vocal Exercises for Singers.comTo sing & play guitar at the same time, learn more at: How to Sing While Playing Guitar

          Comment


          • RJRocks
            RJRocks commented
            Editing a comment

            I'm 52 and have fronted Classic Rock, Dance and 80's metal cover bands for over 30 years. I currently front a Classic Rock cover band and an 80's hair metal type, original band.  I agree with the poster above who mentioned making sure your voice can handle 4 - 45 minutes sets (about 40 songs) two nights a week, if your plans include fronting a rock and roll cover band that will gig in clubs.  If you put in the practice time with the band and on your own, your voice should eventually be able to handle the load. 

            I've found that people will forgive the age thing as long as you don't try to look or act too young, AND you don't look or act too old.  You have to find that perfect middle ground.  In other words...don't dress in clothes from Hot Topic and don't stand there like you're too old to move.  Also, make sure you book venues where most of the clientel is over 30.  


          • off99555
            off99555 commented
            Editing a comment

            Yes, age is not a component of a singers, isn't it?

            We won't consider a great singer from age. Rock brand is for everyone, it came from your heart.


          • Crqc
            Crqc commented
            Editing a comment

            off99555 wrote:

            Yes, age is not a component of a singers, isn't it?

            We won't consider a great singer from age. Rock brand is for everyone, it came from your heart.


            Ok.

            Fantastic happy shine by singer boots if the turtle jumps low.













        Working...
        X