Do I have potential?

dark_horizon

• Members

So I think I've posted here before around a year ago (it was either here or another forum) and I posted my singing and I got a few replies saying I was okay considering I just started and gave me some advice.

Well I've been practicing (on and off, life's busy) and I want to hear some opinions on how I sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHe0QDuX7w

(snippet of Was it a Dream by 30 Seconds To Mars).

I've always wanted to be a singer my entire life, but if I suck and there's no hope for me please let me no lol (but don't be too mean about it :p).

Do I have potential? I know I definitely need work, but what advice can you give me that can improve my voice? Should I drop some cash and find a vocal coach? The only thing I've heard about coaches is you tend to inherit their style of singing and I'd like to be somewhat "unique". I would like to sing in the rock genre.

Thanks so much for your critique and taking time to listen to my attempt haha!

-Alex

• Members

Ok, here's version two: 

One thing I had difficulty doing is getting that "soft, gentle" sounding tone that he has at the very beginning (refer to 

at 0:34-0:44 as an example).

I did notice I found it easier singing the verse(s) in a higher octave. I just wish I could improve my tone so it is a bit "softer" and "smoother" (or maybe it's fine, and it's all in my head).

Thanks for taking the time to help me out BTW, I really, really appreciate it!! :)

P.S.: Sorry if the quality is sub-par, I'm recording via my iPhone.

• Members

Yeah, I agree about the vocal fry.  Just be more consciously aware of it as you're singing.  Technically, everyone has the potential to be a good singer.  The idea that some people are born bad singers isn't true.  The problem with that idea is that people might say something sounds bad, but they don't say why it sounds bad and how to fix it.  Singing's a science, it's a matter of conditioning and learning proper technique.  That said, I think you're starting from a good place already.  My advice would be to find a teacher that can help take you to the next level.  I wouldn't worry too much about inheriting their style.  I'm a rock guy, the person that taught me was primarily RnB.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Thanks you guys. It makes me very happy to know that all I need is some practice to improve.

@Gladanos, that's funny you say that, because one thing that I somewhat dislike about my voice is how deep it is...lol. But thanks. :)

One thing that could really help me: does my voice compare at all to any male singers out there? Like does my voice sound similar to another artist? If so, if anyone point them out to me that would be great. That way I can kindof get an idea of what I sound like and maybe attempt to sing some of their songs and see what happens. Even though I listen to my recordings, it's still "my voice", and it's hard for me to kindof gauge what I sound like. Hard to explain, but y'all probably know what I mean lol. Thanks.

• Members

Hey dude :). I might be a bit late to the party but I thought I might as well contribute.

I had a listen to the recordings.

You do have a deep voice that many, like I, would kill for.

I get you, finding your voice is one crazy adventure that I myself am going through. Best advice I can try give you is to sing everything and anything under the sun. The more genres you open yourself up to, the more discoveries you'll make.

I thought I sounded like a pop singer only to find out that blues and folk is my kind of scene, or so I think. Still discovering it out haha. Only started taking singing seriously for over a year now and I've found that the more you allow your voice to develop, the better a vocalist/musician you become.

All those influences become you and before you know it, emerging vocalists will be singing your songs and comparing themselves to you.

I listen to a lot of Soprano arias mixed with some AlterBridge, She and Him, BB King, Matt Corby and believe it or not some Peter Gabriel.

So to sum that up, go wild, crazy (taking care of your voice) and let your voice experience as many melodies as possible. I do the same.

Anyway, hope any of what I said/wrote helps :).

I dig your voice. Would like to hear how you cover other songs.

Cheers.

G.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm pretty new to singing myself, so I'm sorry I don't really have helpful advice, but...

can say that I like your voice and would be interested in hearing more!

If you do pursue vocal training, you're starting from a good place already and can only strengthen and discover more of what you can do!

I learned to control my voice better by joining a local barbershop chorus. It's a totally different style of music than what you're singing, but... personally, I like to see every voice director as having the potential to teach you something. Just a little food for thought.

Archived