Singing like other people

ChiefPhil

• Members

When singing along to songs I've found that when the artist changes so does my singing voice....basically I can do a REALLY good job singing along with some artists but not others, I feel like I'm trying too hard to sound like that particular artist. This is a little frustrating and somewhat discouraging because I want to find which is MY singing voice so I can sing in MY voice along with whatever song may be on and also to hopefully begin performing in front of an audience some day.

• Moderators

I understand where you're coming from. I actually prefer listening to singers with distinct and original voices. A lot of people these days seem to imitate famous singers' voices too closely, even if they have good sounding voices, I don't find it interesting at all. In my own singing I try to be as original as I can. I find that writing and singing my own original songs helps me develop my own style. Sometimes I feel like my singing voice is actually an extension of my personality in a way. You could give that a try. Getting voice lessons also helps to bring out your 'true' voice' as well. Once you get your voice ringing at its best, that's what your voice is suppose to sound like.

• Members

This is a common issue for vocalists. If the song is a self penned number then you will naturally sing it how you intended it to be sung. However, as with most of us on here we are simply singing someone elses songs. Now, I don't go out to try and imitate any singer but I can't help singing it kinda the same as each song / genre needs to be sung sympathetically "if that makes sense". Mustang Sally will naturally be sung in a different way to say..... Buddy Holly's Peggy Sue or The Eagles Desperado. Unfortunately, if you simply try to sing every song in your own natural voice it may not offer the song the correct feel or emotion and somentimes the audience may not actually appreciate it. Let's face it, they may well have just listened to Mustang Sally in the car on the way to the venue so they know how it should sound. If you feel that there is a chance that you are perhaps trying a bit too hard to sound like a particular artist then of course, pull it back a bit, but the voice should suit the genre in my humble opinion

Archived