How to perform when not singing?

AntzyClancy

• Members

I'm new to singing (1 year) and have been working on my stage presence.  Trouble is that we have two vocalists in the band and I don't know what to do with myself while she is singing.  Neither I, nor she, has any roll in the other's songs.  I wanted all of my songs in one set and all of hers in the other, but the band wants to alternate 2ish songs at a time.

The next gig is in 2 weeks, and it's not likely that we'll get much practice together before then, so I'm basically on my own.  Do I step off stage every other song, or what?  Thanks for posting.

• Moderators

staticsound wrote:

Get a tambourine
:)

lol. i was gonna suggest the same thing. I actually bought a tambourine about a month ago too :smileylol:

Just sing harmonies/background vocal, play a tambourine and dance a bit. lol

• Members

yeah I agree with the Tambourine comment, just dont hit it too hard and stay in time with the music. However, as a good vocalist, you should always be able to bring something to the table when the other person is singing the lead. Perhaps adding a harmony to key phrases in a chorus, sha' las, dooh whaps etc. Otherwise, you might come across as superfluous to to each other. Try to find Youtube videos of duo's in action to see how they react to each other. Most of my work is solo but I do a few gigs as a duo and I am nearly as busy when my singing partner is doing lead as when I am doing lead. You can also learn to interact with the audience as well as this will also make the whole performance more polished

• Members

Yeah, I would say look for other bands that have more than one vocalist and see what they do.  Like others have said, singing harmonies and interacting with the crowd are good ideas.  I'd also add that for future gigs, it's always good to practice the same way you'll perform onstage.  At least as much as you possibly can.  That way, you'll feel more prepared when the next show comes along.

Archived