Struggling with hitting bulls eye , the exact frequency....plz help

mudh

• Members

I have been a musician , a programmer and arranger.....now its been a long time over 10 years that I have not sung before which I have won several awards at school and college level....my pitch was flawless then as I can hear in my recordings but now since I am completely out of practice,... for last 8 months I have again been practicing but the only problem now that I am struggling with is that as such it sounds good to me and to general people but when I record what I sing I can hear that I am not hitting the bulls eye the correct frequecy quite a few times....

Now my request is kindly let me know a couple of links of basic or advanced exercises specially for hitting correct frequency may be staccato exercises or imitation exercises.......or any other exercise that you feel would improve this hitting of the correct frequency.....my problem is not going off pitch too much but being a programmer I have got used to correcting pitch in micro frequencies while recording so my ears have got quite good in judging that so the brain does not accept even a minute incorrect hit of a note......plz it has become a nightmare.....I just want that when I record a song I should at least be able to sing one 4 minute song at once....if I have to edit and pitch correct at 10 places ....it means I still need a lot of practice .....plz some links with which I can practice ONLY FOR PITCH CORRECTION.....thank you.

• Moderators

I don't really know any exercises for pitch correction specifically. Usually practicing basic scales will help hone in on the pitch. If the pitch is still off by a lot then there could be some underlying issues with the vocal technique or mechanism.

How much is the pitch off by? If its within +/- 10-15 cents then I don't think its a really a big deal

• Members

Thanks Davie....yes it is not more than 10-15 cents but professional singers don't even seem to go that off key ....and Davie as we all know....a note is either correct or it is off.....it is never almost correct.....do you have any idea where can I get some free exercises where the person or instrument plays scales or random notes and a bar is left for you to follow....that kind of a thing.....??? I specifically need imitation exercises where can I get such files....?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I struggled with this, all kinds of things can cuase this, fluid in ears etc, find  a set of ear plugs, and try singing with a ear plug in your least dominat ear. Leave the other ear open. 

This will help you home in. I have some hearing loss from working in the racing industry and smoking heavily for years, my voice is starting to recover since I gave up the cigs in january but my ears nose and throat are still healing, it effects everyone a bit differently, but singing with a ear plug in, and practicing scales can help rebuild a injured voice and home in on pitch. 

Don't forget breathing, its easy to build bad habits when singing in the car, and when you get lazy, and you don't support notes, you work the throat harder and breathe with your chest, this tension can cuase pitchy feelings and undermine your confidence. 

Breathe, and listen and figure out where your issues are. 

I am climbing out of the boat we are both in

Archived