What are some good breathing exercises?

C.Y.

• Members

The only one I know is the "ssss" exercise where you let out the air and see how long you can go for. I can only do that for about 30 seconds average so my air flow control must be pretty bad. Anyone know any great exercises besides that one that I can practice?

Also, is there anything special you need to be doing to better control air flow while singing? Do you keep your core tight or are you supposed to be completely relaxed? I've heard people talk of using back muscles and etc. Thanks.

• Members

C.Y. wrote:

Also, is there anything special you need to be doing to better control air flow while singing? Do you keep your core tight or are you supposed to be completely relaxed? I've heard people talk of using back muscles and etc. Thanks.

I don't know what other people do, but I try to keep my tension low in my body.  Almost like doing kegel exercises, if that makes sense?  And yeah, you use your back muscles and the muscles between your ribs front and back when you breathe as well as your diaphram.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

thanks guys.

When singing, do you guys breathe in through your nose or mouth? I get told that through the nose is always better but I swear every time I listen to singers perform they are gasping through their mouths. o_o

• Members

In reality it doesn't matter, nose, mouth, whatever. Some people will try to say breathing in through the mouth will dry your cords out....this of course being asinine because regardless of what orifice you breath through, it all travels down the same path.

• Moderators

chamcham wrote:

Here is a good video that describes 4 types of breathing:

That's a very good video series. I've watched most of his videos. He was actually taught by the same person who taught my teacher.

Archived