Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some good breathing exercises?

The only one I know is the "ssss" exercise where you let out the air and see how long you can go for. I can only do that for about 30 seconds average so my air flow control must be pretty bad. Anyone know any great exercises besides that one that I can practice?

Also, is there anything special you need to be doing to better control air flow while singing? Do you keep your core tight or are you supposed to be completely relaxed? I've heard people talk of using back muscles and etc. Thanks.

Make a Zzz sound, hear the air coming out? Do it with a scale, trying to keep the airflow constant. Sounds easy, but it's a b*tch to do perfect.
    I like when they say a movie is inspired by a true story. That's kind of silly. "Hey, did you hear that story about that lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids and they all drowned?" "Yeah, I did, and you know what - that inspires me to write a movie about a gorilla!"

My Band

My YouTube Channel

My Cover Tunes

Comment

C.Y. wrote:

Also, is there anything special you need to be doing to better control air flow while singing? Do you keep your core tight or are you supposed to be completely relaxed? I've heard people talk of using back muscles and etc. Thanks.

I don't know what other people do, but I try to keep my tension low in my body.  Almost like doing kegel exercises, if that makes sense?  And yeah, you use your back muscles and the muscles between your ribs front and back when you breathe as well as your diaphram.  

Comment

thanks guys.

When singing, do you guys breathe in through your nose or mouth? I get told that through the nose is always better but I swear every time I listen to singers perform they are gasping through their mouths. o_o

Comment

• davie
          davie commented
          Editing a comment

deepflight wrote:
          Right, but you hear it because they are right on a microphone.  And they usually aren't gasping for breath.

What do you mean when you say you "automate" between phrases?  I don't understand.

I usually like hearing the singer's intake of breath, I feel like it adds a more intimate feeling. But in most recordings they cut the breathing sounds out to make the song easier to mix and master.

"Automate" or automation, basically means using the volume slider to adjust the volume of the vocal track at specific parts. In this case lowering the volume on the breath parts.

• C.Y.
          C.Y. commented
          Editing a comment

Oh sorry I was exaggerating, they're not literally gasping lol. I just meant the sound when you take a quick breath from the mouth, I'm talking about professional singers giving live performances with mics, but I only noticed them breathing from the mouth only because I was listening for it, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed their breathing really.

• davie
          davie commented
          Editing a comment
          In my opinion, the best way to breathe is draw in breath through the mouth and nose simultaneously.

Renouned tenor Nordin Schnerpello recommended this one:

"Breathe in, breath out"  Repeat.

Comment

• ido1957
          ido1957 commented
          Editing a comment

Crqc wrote:

Renouned tenor Nordin Schnerpello recommended this one:

"Breathe in, breath out"  Repeat.

Brilliant man that Nordin

Here is a good video that describes 4 types of breathing: http://youtu.be/mDQoMyPmg9s

Comment

• davie
          davie commented
          Editing a comment

chamcham wrote:
          Here is a good video that describes 4 types of breathing: http://youtu.be/mDQoMyPmg9s

That's a very good video series. I've watched most of his videos. He was actually taught by the same person who taught my teacher.

Working...
      X