just started teaching myself to sing, need help

jprince11

• Members

Hey all newbie here, I'm learning guitar and singing my own lyrics is important to me so I'm trying to learn vocals at the same time, I think I have some voice to work with as my range is about two octaves and I don't think my voice is too weak, however the only way I know how to practice is just singing up and down my range with a tuner to tell me if I'm on my key

I'm not sure if it's just a matter of practice but I haven't made a lot of progress outside of just getting some memory of what each note feels like and fleshing out my range, I'm not close to singing a real song yet, the problem being if I want to sing a G I can get close but I'm just as likely to sing off key, or a f or f sharp for instance as the actual note

I might have to get a teacher eventually but I'd like to know if there's anything I can do or if its just a practice thing 

thanks for any help!

• Members

well my range matches my guitar pretty well (I believe), are keyboard sounds easier for the ear to pick up? I've tried the play the note on the guitar first then sing a little bit and didn't get much success, maybe I just  have to concentrate better 

• Members

jprince11 wrote:

well my range matches my guitar pretty well (I believe), are keyboard sounds easier for the ear to pick up? I've tried the play the note on the guitar first then sing a little bit and didn't get much success, maybe I just  have to concentrate better 

Yes concentrate more

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

thanks for all the replies

well I dumped the tuner method about a week ago; I figured you have to be able to hear the note more than just practice hitting it so now I just use my guitar and hitting the note before and there was an immediate improvement as I could hold the note for much longer and now while hearing the note first I can usually hit the note 4-5 times (my range also improved)

but I'm still struggling to hit the notes without the help of the guitar, it's only been about a week with my new method, I'm going through some stuff right now that makes it pretty hard to concentrate so maybe thats just the problem OR maybe I should just stick with it longer OR maybe I just need to a few vocal lessons

it's a little frustrating because I know I have good range starting out and don't really see any red flags with the quality of my voice so far

would you guys keep trying or wait til you feel you can concentrate better or go to vocal teacher?

Archived