so do i sound tone deaf here?

tigs6969

• Moderators

I've listened to a number of your recordings. I'm not sure if you're "tone deaf" or not. I heard your happy birthday clips and I think the main bits were relatively in pitch, so I'm not sure if that's the case. However to be honest, your singing does sound kinda 'monotone'. To me it sounds 'pulled down' and squashed, like you're not letting the colours in your voice come out so there's no presence in the sound.

I think you should try practicing singing scales like 5-tone and 8-tone major scales. Repeat the scales using each of the 5 vowels (ah, ay, ee, oh, oo). Record it and play it back to yourself repeatedly. That way you can figure out if you're on pitch or not. I think its really important to record yourself and play it back, your internal hearing is EXTREMELY deceptive unless you've gotten use to hearing yourself.

• Members

the happy birthday clips were semi serious/joke recordings made for friends.

i do the scales everyday and with the 5 vowels etc and from what i hear i am on pitch with all the notes.

as i said i know my vocals arent perfect but theyre heading the direction i want them to tone wise. just kinda having a laugh at the person who called me tone deaf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Rudolf von Hagenwil wrote:

people claiming i use autotune. disgusting

no, you don't, 

but you should

wow actually telling someone to use autotune, pathetic especially on a site about singing naturally. or attemtping to insult me about my singing. wow if this is the sort of stupidity on this website i aint coming back and no ill miss you more

• Members

staticsound wrote:

Yeah, been doing recording and live sound for 12 years, it pays the bills, lol. Yeah shoot me some off your stuff.

well i honestly pity everyone who you have worked with if you cant tell the difference between autotune and not autotune. hilarious. i may be tone deaf but at least i aint completely deaf. hell im sure beethoven in his last days couldve told the difference between autotune and not autotune

• Members

I don't think you are tone deaf becuase it is obvious your going in the rythym with the song but i dont think you are using your voice in the right way. Try making a Deeper lower sound. and hold the notes and practice doing your scales like that. Someon once told me to start each song with a yawn and feel wat my throat does during the yawn and try to hold it deep , *make sure nothing hurts though* and it added alot of color to my voice. Might wana give it a shot :)

Archived