Condenser mic for live vocals?

• Members

Hi all. Our band played our first real show the other night. As usual, couldn't hear the vocals out of the monitors. The sound guy said I needed a condenser mic because of my low voice. But he puts trash bags over the monitors too, which is kind of frign odd I think. He swapped out my OM7 that I brought for one of his mics (non condenser) and wasn't much better. 

My bass player who has been in other bands tells me to just get use to not being able to hear anything when you play out. I did just get a $1200 seinhauser (spelling I know) wireless IEM system with custom molded Westone AC2's but I haven't used them out yet. Just getting the feel for playing live at different places. 

We've been featured at many different open mics and the sound systems are all the same. The monitor tone is just horrible and nobody can hear anything anybody else does. 

At home, in my basement, we rehearse at a super high volume. Like small club volume and I can hear myself fine out of my QSC K12. 

I would think that a condenser mic for live use would be stupid with drums and bass. Half our sh*t is heavy (distortion) the other 1/2 acoustic based, but still a condenser mic?

• Members

The sound guy is full of BS. Your OM7 is fine. The trash bags were probably to protect the monitors from spilled drinks. They muffle the sound. A GOOD sound man can make monitors work fine. Remember the louder the instruments are the harder the monitors have to work.

• Members

I wouldn't dismiss the value of condenser mics for live performance.  Shure makes a few hand-held condensers designed to be used on stage, and they're excellent.  I switched to condensers a few years ago and I would never go back to a dynamic mic.  That said, I agree that it's not wise to listen to someone who puts trash bags over his monitors.

• Members

I wouldn't suggest the 105 for your application. First of all, it is quite sensitive and I found it to be unmaneagable around monitors. I also was not impressed with the sound, it didn't sound any better than much cheaper mics I own. I ended up trading mine for 6 sennheiser 835's and don't regret it for one moment. Since you state that you play at a high volume, I would lean towards a Supercardioid like a beta58 or EV 967 or perhaps a Senn 945

Archived