X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condenser mic for live vocals?

Hi all. Our band played our first real show the other night. As usual, couldn't hear the vocals out of the monitors. The sound guy said I needed a condenser mic because of my low voice. But he puts trash bags over the monitors too, which is kind of frign odd I think. He swapped out my OM7 that I brought for one of his mics (non condenser) and wasn't much better. 

My bass player who has been in other bands tells me to just get use to not being able to hear anything when you play out. I did just get a $1200 seinhauser (spelling I know) wireless IEM system with custom molded Westone AC2's but I haven't used them out yet. Just getting the feel for playing live at different places. 

We've been featured at many different open mics and the sound systems are all the same. The monitor tone is just horrible and nobody can hear anything anybody else does. 

At home, in my basement, we rehearse at a super high volume. Like small club volume and I can hear myself fine out of my QSC K12. 

I would think that a condenser mic for live use would be stupid with drums and bass. Half our sh*t is heavy (distortion) the other 1/2 acoustic based, but still a condenser mic?

The sound guy is full of BS. Your OM7 is fine. The trash bags were probably to protect the monitors from spilled drinks. They muffle the sound. A GOOD sound man can make monitors work fine. Remember the louder the instruments are the harder the monitors have to work.

Hamilton Steele CD's / Hamilton Steele MP3 Downloads / Hamilton Steele iTunes

Comment

With trash bags over the wedges, it is an uphill battle not solved by switching mics.

Comment

• kevinjames
        kevinjames commented
        Editing a comment

That's what I figured guys, thanks. Who the hell puts trash bags over monitors?  Unreal

If soundguy is worried about beer on his wedges, perhaps he could try side fills. Personally, I would refuse to work there.

Comment

• IzzyJenz
        IzzyJenz commented
        Editing a comment

The Rode NT1 I got is a large diagram condenser mic so it's more sensitive.. I think my luck with using my condenser mic for the gig is fading away lol I'm looking for a decent bargain dynamic one right now.. anyone suggests? Mainly I'm playing guitar with a full band, acoustic gigs are side project i do occasionally.. singing is not my main thing so a decent mic that get the job done could be enough. I'm looking at Shure SM 58 and Rode M1?? I also have only a small cheap preamp Beringer Tubeultragain Mic100 which I use for recording on my PC only. I don't know if it's enough for vocalling a small size acoustic gig? Please suggest thx!

• Todzilla
        Todzilla commented
        Editing a comment

The best way to protect monitors is to leave them in the original packaging back at home.

And condensors may sound better in some instances, they will be likely to have more feedback problems than dynamic mics.  The OP's OM7 is a very nice dynamic mic.  If it works with his/her voice, keep it.

• Onacor
        Onacor commented
        Editing a comment

agreed.. main issues for cond. is Feedback and Bleed..

It will pick up everything behind you, and feed it through the PA's.. this could muddy up your sound which isnt good.. Not to mention, your sound guy will be mighty pissed at you, if you took one of those things out for stage use.. haha.

For an acoustic show, as long as you watch your levels.. you'll do fine... There's a reason why cond. are used in studios opposed to dynamics normally (Many of great albums were recorded with a sm58 in the studio, but still condensors are desired more for their sensitivity)..

Try them both.. see what you like...

I don't think a condensor is going to withstand heavy metal, Acoustic maybe. - mainly feedback problems IMHO.

Anyway the garbage bags are just a joke...as is the soundman in this case...

Hamilton Steele CD's / Hamilton Steele MP3 Downloads / Hamilton Steele iTunes

Comment

• kevinjames
        kevinjames commented
        Editing a comment

Yep, zero passion, shoudln't be involved in music, the sound guy that is. 

• Onacor
        Onacor commented
        Editing a comment
        Humm... two suggestions :

1. Get a different Mic... SM58 Beta or SM57 Beta have a brighter tone then a lot of other mics (picks up more mids so it helps to eliminate the "mud". OFCOURSE there are much much better mics out there, but for cost ... they are good.

2. Get a VoiceLive2, or something similar, and eliminate the soundguy all together. If he's that crap, you don't need him. Only get him to control the master volume, and leave the rest to you ...

I wouldn't suggest the 105 for your application. First of all, it is quite sensitive and I found it to be unmaneagable around monitors. I also was not impressed with the sound, it didn't sound any better than much cheaper mics I own. I ended up trading mine for 6 sennheiser 835's and don't regret it for one moment. Since you state that you play at a high volume, I would lean towards a Supercardioid like a beta58 or EV 967 or perhaps a Senn 945

Comment

Working...
      X