I've had an epiphany!

staticsound

• Members

So I've been getting back into the "science" of singing a lot here lately and had an epiphany. Too many coaches and programs place too much emphasis on breath support and having a solid core...myself included. While yes, proper breathing is a must for correct singing, I don't think it needs to be emphasized as much. What I do think most programs lack, and if any of you know my history with SLS, this may shock you. In certain areas I believe Seth Riggs hit the nail on the head.

We focus too much on breath support, when its the larynx that really needs more emphasis placed on it. Singing with a neutral larynx should be at the top of anybody's program IMO. If your larynx is neutral, it frees your voice for those ever elusive high notes and mid voice area. If your larynx is shooting up into your chin, you're choking yourself out of acoustic space and will eventually hit a point where you can't go any higher. It also causes unwanted strain, as your constrictor muscles kick in...the muscles that shoot your larynx up when you swallow. I've even found myself reverting back to old exercises from my SLS days...the "guh, guh's" and the "mum, mums"...if you've ever done SLS, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if your having issues with your mid and head register, put your finger on your larynx and see if its moving up as you ascend in pitch. If you've made it this far into my novel, kudos to you.

-D

• Moderators

SLS? :smileysurprised: I think you're turned to the dark side.. lol. jk.

But yeah, stabilizing the larynx is definitely important. And too much support can be just as bad as no support at all. No matter what technique it is, certain consonants will achieve a specific function. I noticed that most methods will use at least a few 'g' consonant exercises to help out the larynx.

• Members

Welcome to the dark side!  I agree that a neutral larynx is crucial for gaining upper range.  And I also agree that breathing is over-rated (!).  Breath control is a fundamental, sure, but it won't make anyone a great singer.

It's what you do on top of breath support that matter most.

Archived