Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

I've had an epiphany!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had an epiphany!

So I've been getting back into the "science" of singing a lot here lately and had an epiphany. Too many coaches and programs place too much emphasis on breath support and having a solid core...myself included. While yes, proper breathing is a must for correct singing, I don't think it needs to be emphasized as much. What I do think most programs lack, and if any of you know my history with SLS, this may shock you. In certain areas I believe Seth Riggs hit the nail on the head.

We focus too much on breath support, when its the larynx that really needs more emphasis placed on it. Singing with a neutral larynx should be at the top of anybody's program IMO. If your larynx is neutral, it frees your voice for those ever elusive high notes and mid voice area. If your larynx is shooting up into your chin, you're choking yourself out of acoustic space and will eventually hit a point where you can't go any higher. It also causes unwanted strain, as your constrictor muscles kick in...the muscles that shoot your larynx up when you swallow. I've even found myself reverting back to old exercises from my SLS days...the "guh, guh's" and the "mum, mums"...if you've ever done SLS, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if your having issues with your mid and head register, put your finger on your larynx and see if its moving up as you ascend in pitch. If you've made it this far into my novel, kudos to you.

-D
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>I like when they say a movie is inspired by a true story. That's kind of silly. &quot;Hey, did you hear that story about that lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids and they all drowned?&quot; &quot;Yeah, I did, and you know what - that inspires me to write a movie about a gorilla!&quot; </i><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/wickedgardenvegas" target="_blank">My Band</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/DerekReno?feature=mhee" target="_blank">My YouTube Channel</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/derekmanalo" target="_blank">My Cover Tunes</a></div>

SLS? .png" alt=":smileysurprised:" title="Smiley Surprised" /> I think you're turned to the dark side.. lol. jk.

But yeah, stabilizing the larynx is definitely important. And too much support can be just as bad as no support at all. No matter what technique it is, certain consonants will achieve a specific function. I noticed that most methods will use at least a few 'g' consonant exercises to help out the larynx.

Comment

• Jersey Jack
      Jersey Jack commented
      Editing a comment

Welcome to the dark side!  I agree that a neutral larynx is crucial for gaining upper range.  And I also agree that breathing is over-rated (!).  Breath control is a fundamental, sure, but it won't make anyone a great singer.

It's what you do on top of breath support that matter most.

• staticsound
      staticsound commented
      Editing a comment

Jersey Jack wrote:

Welcome to the dark side!  I agree that a neutral larynx is crucial for gaining upper range.  And I also agree that breathing is over-rated (!).  Breath control is a fundamental, sure, but it won't make anyone a great singer.

It's what you do on top of breath support that matter most.

I haven't moved to the dark side, I'm a just admitting they do have some valid points " id="smiley" src="https://guitarcenter.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-.png" alt=":smiley:" title="Smiley Very Happy" />

And yes, what you do on top of the breath is what matters...I almost wrote that, haha.

I'm new to this forum and singing... would you fill me in more on this? SLS and all? I just did the larynx test... lol. I know the 'basics' but I would love to develop my singing more! Good thread and thanks for any insight..

@Travis - SLS stands for Speech Level Singing.  You honestly can build a solid foundation with that method, depending on what style youre into, maybe just stick with SLS if you're into singing country, pop, and r&b.  I wont go into detail on this method....google is your friend .png" alt=":smileyhappy:" title="Smiley Happy" />

In a nutshell, SLS or Singing Success (same thing)...SLS was Seth Riggs, and SS is taught by one of his pupils, Brett Manning.  More or less, as with any singing program, it will teach you how to find your head voice, stabilize your larynx, find your pharyngeal voice, etc.  They just don't place a big emphasis on breathing.  If you're into more "demanding" styles of music, like rock...SLS will help you, but IMO you would eventually need to move on to a different program.  My suggestions would be Ken Tamplin or Jamie Vendera.

• TravisWright210
      TravisWright210 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! That helps a lot. And yes, google is our 'friend' haha

I'm new to this forum and singing... would you fill me in more on this? SLS and all? I just did the larynx test... lol. I know the 'basics' but I would love to develop my singing more! Good thread and thanks for any insight..

Comment

Working...
    X