Earplugs and singing live questions--

groovy13

• Members

I was curious about the efffect of earplugs on the pitch of a persons voice while singing live rock/metal style.  I have always not considered myself a singer but rather a back up singer but am finding that my lead singer always wear earplugs while we rehearse and gig.  Is he hearing the same pitch as me- for I do not wear earplugs but am willing to jump into the fire with them.  I need advice on pros and cons. Pitch difference--best kind of plugs db range etc-----

Thanks you rock

• Members

Hear-O's work alright without too much pitch muffling.. Your singer is probably using it to make up for not hearing himself well in the monitors, Kinda like how sometimes you'll see singers covering one ear while singing important passages. It allows you to use the vibration of your skull to help you "hear" your voice.. I myself just try to hear my voice in the monitors, because I lose too much sound of what I am playing with plugs in.. Hope this helps..

• Members

I ran into this exact issue using earbuds for my Aviom monitor. It drove me nuts, so I got some "earhook" style headphones to use instead. To your point, I'm not totally sure that you hear the same exact note as not using an earplug, but I can pretty much guarantee that it will just be the low frequencies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

True--my ears are losing the highs form years of guitar--so when I out in theplugs--bye bye guitar hello bass--ugh--such is life and my fault for not using them earlier in life---what?---what?--what did you say?

Archived