My vocal range

• Members

I (male) just tested out my vocal range. Please comment on that. Is it average? Or special in some way? I'm not a trained singer.

I'm dissapointed on my chest voice because it doesn't have a higher range.

chest voice:

lowest:

g2

highest:

c4 (comfortable)

g#4 (uncomfortable, pushing)

head voice:

lowest:

e3 (comfortable)

c3 (uncomfortable, weak)

highest:

c5 (comfortable)

g5 (uncomfortable, pushing)

• Members

What's to be disappointed about?  The break at G#4 is the standard tenor bridge to head voice, and if you smooth out the bridge you've got close to another octave on top of that, which gives you a total of three octaves.

Orthodoxy says that one begins mixing head into chest at about D4 (the first bridge) and then settle into full head voice at A5.

My favorite singer is Bob Dylan so I'm not very orthodox, but there you have it.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Hello, I recently got back to this topic because of karaoke singing.

The reply of Jersey Jack already helped a bit back then, but still until today I am not sure "what I am". So maybe you can help me.

I found a graphic comparing the voice types. It's in German but I think it is understandable. It shows Bass to Soprano and below the graphic I have put my own chest voice range (blue) and my head voice range (grey). Full color means comfortable zone and grayed out means uncomfortable/weak/pushed singing.

1032023032_2019-10-0815_53_21-stimmumfangbaritongesangvergleich.ods-LibreOfficeCalc.thumb.png.112aa88f99547b693f69a43b3a20a53b.png

• Moderators

Hey there,

Welcome back to the forum. It's been 5-6 years since you made your initial post. Has your vocal range and overall singing changed much since that time?

Regarding identifying your vocal fach, it is difficult to do without hearing how you sound. Vocal range is only able to indicate so much. 

But from how you described your range, it seems fairly typical for an untrained male singer of any type.

Feel free to post a sound clip of your singing and I can give you my opinion.

Archived