AAARGH! For the last time! Range is not everything!

rodclement

• Members

Never fails...we do a gig and I get approached by some dude or girl to talk about my singing and my "incredible" range! They go on about how they would sound awesome if they had "my range", etc....! Aaargh!

Do singers not realize that range is only one aspect of singing? I am not even goign to bother listing the thousands of landmark singers that have no more than 2 or 3 octaves of range, and yet changed music as we knot it!

Is range becoming an excuse for bad technique? Is range becoming like over-playing your instrument was back in the 80's hair band days? Think Malmsteins guitar playing (nothing wrong with it, but far from simple!).

Do people think that range is simply god given and cannot be improved by effort and so use it as an excuse for lack of dedication?

I don't know any of the answers but is is frustrating to have people say to me...well...if I had your range, I could fo that to! Could you? How the hell do you think I developded my range? By wishing uppon a star? It's all technique and work people, a lot of work! Not only on range, but tone, timbre, vibratto, breathing, whatever and everything, not one single thing is absolute on it's on! Who cares if one can hit a high C if his tone sucks?

What about the preparation required to sing just as well from the first song, to the last song of a 4 hour set? What about doing that day in and out wihout loosing your voice? It's not range morons, it's proper technique!

Sorry for the rant, this just happened to me twice this past week...the old 5 octave range conversation...and how Imust be blesse by god himself since I can hit a high C! No one cares about the work, set selection, delivery, stage presence...it's almost like...as long as you can yodle in a couple of parts of some songs, and whale through some sclaes a la Mariah Carrie, and you are magic...enough! Get to work people!

Rod

• Members

One might argue that the priase for the work/technique/etc is implicit in the praise of your range. Most laypersons dont know what it akes to do that, but they know it is an accomplishment. To praise the accomplishment is to implicitly praise everything it took to get there.

Less frustrating if you look at it that way, no?

• Members

Thanks for the replies guys...

No it doesn't help at all..these coments come from other singers/musicians who fail to understand that hard work makes better singers, not only natural ability! I am tired of people who use their range as an excuse for being poor singers!

Stat...I am fond of the hamster in my pants technique! :) Myself!

Rod

• Members

I often get complimented for singing on pitch.  (I sing a cappella a lot.)  Since to me that is a basic requirement for singing acceptably, I never know what to think about that.  Did they hate my singing but are searching for something nice to say or are they genuinely surprised I can stay on pitch?  

Oh well.  I smile and say thank you.

• Members

I've never really heard someone say that. It's a kind of a backwards way to complement someone. If someone just says "nice range" I'd take the complement and thank them for coming. The way that "complement" sounded, it was like saying, "wow, if I could run as fast as you, I could win a race!" Just kind of a dumb way to phrase that.

Archived