Make my belting sound better?

• Members

I would say I'm a baritone and of course since I lived in a society that's been fanatical for tenors, I would say that it's quite traumatizing and torturing to listen to songs that I can only wish I can sing. I know most people would advise me to keep away from belting, but there's a certain quality to belting that just satisfies me. Currently, I can belt up to A4. It's not terrible, but it could definitely use some work. I want more control over the A4 note as well if thats possible? Any tips?

• Members

Most baritones are tenors that haven't quite figured out how to release properly into head voice so don't worry about that. The way you sing higher more easily is to find release, you have to discover your head voice, light and easy at first and then build on it. Belting can be done healthy and unhealthy the important part is that the singer feels no strain or pain if they do then it's wrong. That A4 is the start of your second transistion, your best bet is to find some release up higher and bring it down to that A4. If that A4 is always your top or near your top then it's a good sign you are losing coordination of the vocal cords at that point, your voice will definatly go higher than that pretty easily even if you are a baritone. 

I have a video about finding headvoice coming up on my you tube channel next week youtube.com/cwehden

• Members

Belting can be done safely in full on chest. Yeah, I'd encourage you to find your head voice as well...just depends on how much chest overtone you want to add in.

Also depends on what style of music you're into. Pop and the later, more head voice...rock, more chest

• Members

Appreciate all your guys' answers. As much as I'd like to believe that I'm a possible tenor, I'm pretty convinced that I'm a baritone because I have trouble keeping up with singing any notes above a G4 in chest. I always hear about head voice, but the concept is a little confusing. My voice breaks at around F4, that's when I switch into falsetto and I can go well into the 5th octave and hit a G, sometimes an A on a good day. Care to clarify how I can find my head voice?

• Members

That's normal...right around F4 is your passaggio...ie vocal break. It's there that you have to "shift gears" with either vowel modification and/or resonance placement. Easy head voice trick...octave sirens on a closed "ee" vowel. Your voice will naturally flip. Sorry if that was confusing...lol

• Members

Hey! Did that siren thing, not sure if I did it correctly, but I kind of felt the sound travel from my throat to the roof of my mouth/tip of my nose? Although my voice sounds a bit whiny, is there a way to make it sound fuller and chesty? (: I wanna trick my audience into thinking I can sing a high chest LOL

Archived