What vocal coaching program is better?

nicknamer24

• Members

What vocal coaching program is better between Kevin Richards Breaking the Chains, Brett Mannings Singing Success, Aaron Anastasi's Superior Singing Method and Eric Bruner's Sing With Power?

I really didn't find many reviews for Aaron Anastasi or Kevin, although Kevin seems much more popular. About Eric Bruner I've just heard. I think it's in the bottom of my list, but still, I'm not sure. I need some reviews, so that I would know which one I should buy. Thanks! 

• Members

If you live in the New York City Area, try Craig Derry's Vocal Boot Camp.

$199/month for unlimited group vocal classes (6 days a week).

Here are some Youtube videos:

Vocal Boot Camp class:

Craig Derry bio and vocal demonstration

Class Performance from a student:

Info:

Craig Derry Group Classes Schedule / Location

1674 Broadway New York, NY 8th Floor

(646) 597-9104

Vocal Work Out Classes

Monday,Wednesday & Friday:

10:00-12:00 Noon

6:00-7:30 PM | 7:30-9:00 PM | 9:00-11:00 PM

Tuesday & Thursday: 9:00-11:00 PM

Sunday:  4:30-6:30 pm | 6:30 - 8:30 PM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In my opinion Bretts program is much better than any of the others it's by far the best but must be understood to be apprieciated. Unfortunatly you only really see the wood for the trees once you become a good singer which can take more time than most people are willing to spend it's hard to see the difference in coaches when you are just starting out. Spend some time watching his short videos on you tube he is a very gifted teacher. Ultimatly you have to decide what you think is right for you, see where it leads you.

• Members

Nothing wrong with Brett Manning's program--I got quite a bit out of it.  But he is not aiming at rock or metal singing, so if you're looking for that, look elsewhere.  Brett is very good for modern country or classic soul styles.

Kevin Richards is more classic rock-oriented, but not full-on metal.  I haven't looked too deeply at his program, but from I've seen it seems helpful.  For metal I hear that Robert Lunte and Jaime Vendera are good, but I don't have much interest or experience in this area.

Ken Tamplin is quirky, but his material is really good.  I believe I learned more from him than any other online instructor.

• Members

Brett Mannings program is good for building a good foundation and "getting" the styles. It's worth it's price and from there you can go to for example Jaime Vendera if you want more heavy style.

BUT: The most impotrant is that you USE IT and sing lots every day, it won't do any good collecting dust...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Do not get lessons with Kevin Richards. He is a good singer with great technique but he is unproffessional and unreliable. He cannot meet his own standards that he places on his own students.

He only attended one lesson out the four he was supposed to attend to. By his own proffessional standards, which is in his policy, it states, "Two consecutive absences will result in removal from the schedule with no refunds, makeups or credit. Please note that it is up to the student to communicate directly with Mr. Richards well enough in advance to plan any absences or rescheduled lessons."

What makes this situation even worse was that he either forgot to come to the lessons or he just decided to hang with his daughter last minute. On no occasion did he give me 24 hours notice. This is requirement for his own students, "24 hour cancellation required to avoid forfeit. NO EXCEPTIONS."

For more information on his policy, look here. http://www.rpmvocalstudio.com/singing-lessons.html

• Members

@staticsound

I'd like to know why you think people should avoid my vocal course like "the plague".  Do you own it?

Because if you did, you would know I teach a similar approach to both Tamplin AND Vendera. In fact it was me who resurrected the Jim Gillette "Vocal Power" exercises used in my course - exercises that Jaime Vendera now uses with his students.

Ken Tamplin is a self absorbed business man because he bashes other coaches and their systems publicly. he is a fantastic singer but the way he conducts his business sometimes kind of sucks. Brett Manning isn't a saint either in that department. They are both a little too concerned with the bottom line of collecting money.

• Members

OK lets out this baby to rest.

Gregory here lives in Australia, I live in New York City - a 14 hour time difference. We agreed upon a 7pm on Saturday lesson time. I was able to make the first lesson work but the two following lessons I was unable to attend because of family commitments (I have a daughter who has activities that can sometimes go over time).

Both missed lessons I apologized and even offered a free lesson for compensation. Unfortunately that kind of courtesy wasn't enough for young Gregory who then proceeded to file a Paypal claim for a paid lesson. I promptly refunded his money and asked him why he chose to file a complaint before he spoke to me possibly re-arranging a different time that we could both make more easily.

Gregory's reply was to accuse me of trying to take his money and scamming him. That is not how I have run my business for the last 6 years and in addition, given Paypal's protection policy it is impossible to take someone's money and not deliver the good or services.

Gregory has now taken it upon himself to try to shame me publicly on forums where other singers congregate. He has already been banned and deleted in other vocal forums for this petty and immature behavior.

What Gregory fails to realize is that I have an excellent reputation among my peers and students and anything he posts can be countered with numerous posts saying the opposite.

I wish Greogry all the luck in the world but he needs to grow up.

• Members

i might be able to help here. i bought per bristow's program the singing zone a while back and i got good results from it. he teaches the vocie in a way that any absolute newbie could begin flexing the vocal chords and get them in shape to do what you want them to do.

i bought the basic course, because i was intrigued after reading his articles online. he doesn't bother with scales, drills, and stuff. for the first few months it's just about getting the  vocal folds to stretch and eventually get them under your  control.

i did not upgrade, however, so i don't know his approach to "colour" those high and low notes once you can produce them. my results were very clean, very neutral-sounding high notes. i've taught myself to get my desireded mix of tones in my high and low notes.

so, yeah, check it out. it's a very refreshing approach to studying the voice. and no, i'm not an affiliate. cheers and please keep singing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I posted this in another thread but it is relevant here as well. There is so much confusion and mystery regarding how the voice works and how to train and improve it.

All efforts used in singing, except mental effort, is destructive, for it interferes with and retards the free action of the vocal organ. If the singer has to make any perceptible effort of breath or throat action to reach a certain note or certain effect, he may be sure that the vocal organ is more or less weak, for when the vocal organ is proportionately strong in all its parts, then all tones and shades come with the utmost ease, requiring only mental effort to produce them.

The part of the vocal organ which decides the volume, beauty, compass and most shading and articulation, is the tongue. The tongue sets into action the entire vocal mechanism. It is the only part that can contract with perfect ease and rapidity. Its muscles are attached at one end to a firm inflexible bone, the chin, and at the other end to the freely moving larynx and to other muscles. It lies between the hard and soft palate above and the larynx below, and works like a lever, trying to draw the palate and larynx toward each other. Now in just the degree that the tongue possesses strength, can it awaken force in the other parts of the vocal organ, because no muscle can exert greater power than is supplied by the resistance against which it acts and reacts.

You must realize that you must train the vocal organ and not the voice. Any voice method that does not primarily consider the instrument which produces the voice, is at best haphazard and unscientific.

Knowing how to strengthen the vocal organ is difficult matter for two reasons. Firstly, because the very important hyo-glossus muscle is invisible and secondly, because it is nowhere attached to a fixed bone like other muscles; it cannot be felt. However, methods of strengthening the vocal muscles have been around for almost a century and is the most important effective way of building a great voice. Still this is almost unknown to almost every vocal teacher out there.

Students of ordinary methods can repeat scales, yawn, sigh, hum, practice breathing, lip rolls, vowels, and tongue twisters ad nauseam but without direct attention to the mechanics of the vocal organ, and training to ensure that the larynx remains in a stable, balanced position allowing all parts of the vocal organ to co-ordinate smoothly, progress is limited and in many cases harmful.

A voice must be built - not simply trained. For only by building up the strength and by gaining full control of the vocal organ can a real voice be developed.

One such method is called the Feuchtinger method.

Best kept secret in the industry.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Nowadays, Coaching isn't as cheap as online training. You can get alot of free guides to sing online. And there are some paid products which I recommended, cheap and effective more than Coach offline. Supporting is like coaching but a lot less price. And everything is already ready for you to harvest.

For more info, you may have a look at my website, get free e-book first. (at the signature below)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I only have experiene with Brett Manning's program (singing success as well as masterin vibrato). In my short time using it, I am impressed by his comprehensive knowledge of how to use the voice, as well as how to apply, for example vibrato, in a multitude of ways to adapt to many styles. As well, there are lots of different exercises he uses, again in the vibrato course, that hits many angles to help you along. So far, it seems promising.

As an aside, a relatively unknown program I use supplementary is the "virtual voice lessons.net" course. Its cheep (i think now 40 dollars per year) for a full year of monthly feedback and lessons and exercises. not a bad deal imo. 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Im a little biased here. I believe every voice is unique, and needs specific instruction, otherwise you will end up sounding like a carbon copy of the video you watched. The problem with that? Thousands of others are watching the video too, which means you will have the same knowledge/ability as others. This takes away the vocal thumbprint. I would recommend finding a local music store, (or even a college with a music program) Find a person that has a similar voice style as yours, and pay them to give you lessons. This is more tedious and time-consuming, but the payoff will be GREAT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
Posting for anyone still looking for the best vocal program. I found this old thread and did plenty of research and found out first hand...

This right here https://www.thefourpillarsofsinging.com/product/four-pillars-singing-online-vocal-training-courses/sing/102?campaign=hc is THE BEST vocal program out there. Hands down.

Thanks you Michael. Anyone that is interested in learning more about http://www.TheFourPillarsofSinging.com, click this link and read the testimonials. I am also personally available to answer questions for you. I realize it is hard to be non-biased when you are the guy that produced the program, but I can honestly say,... there is no other program that can match what me and my team have produced with The Four Pillars of Singing. It really is great... Reach out and contact me if you like.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I too have Ken Tamplin's course. I haven't tried these other courses so I'm sure they're probably okay. But my voice has grown insanely from doing Ken's course. You should check out his YouTube channel, it has like 400 videos of him and students singing that are awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived