Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What vocal coaching program is better?

What vocal coaching program is better between Kevin Richards Breaking the Chains, Brett Mannings Singing Success, Aaron Anastasi's Superior Singing Method and Eric Bruner's Sing With Power?

I really didn't find many reviews for Aaron Anastasi or Kevin, although Kevin seems much more popular. About Eric Bruner I've just heard. I think it's in the bottom of my list, but still, I'm not sure. I need some reviews, so that I would know which one I should buy. Thanks! 

Depends on what you want out of a program. Stay away from Kevin Rchards and Singing Success like the plague!

I'd recommend Ken Tamplin or Jamie Vendera....google them.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>I like when they say a movie is inspired by a true story. That's kind of silly. &quot;Hey, did you hear that story about that lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids and they all drowned?&quot; &quot;Yeah, I did, and you know what - that inspires me to write a movie about a gorilla!&quot; </i><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/wickedgardenvegas" target="_blank">My Band</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/DerekReno?feature=mhee" target="_blank">My YouTube Channel</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/derekmanalo" target="_blank">My Cover Tunes</a></div>

Comment

• RocktheStageNYC
      RocktheStageNYC commented
      Editing a comment

@staticsound

I'd like to know why you think people should avoid my vocal course like "the plague".  Do you own it?

Because if you did, you would know I teach a similar approach to both Tamplin AND Vendera. In fact it was me who resurrected the Jim Gillette "Vocal Power" exercises used in my course - exercises that Jaime Vendera now uses with his students.

Ken Tamplin is a self absorbed business man because he bashes other coaches and their systems publicly. he is a fantastic singer but the way he conducts his business sometimes kind of sucks. Brett Manning isn't a saint either in that department. They are both a little too concerned with the bottom line of collecting money.

• RocktheStageNYC
      Editing a comment
      To be clear - Jaime Vendera does NOT have a program. He has a book with some technique examples. He does not have a method or system of teaching. He is my friend and colleague but even Jaime wouldn't say he has a "vocal course".

• PhilMoufarrege
      PhilMoufarrege commented
      Editing a comment

Kevin Richards, Stop talking ****.  You got in trouble once before on The Modern Vocalist Forum for "trollying for business" as Ken pointed out.  You know what I'm talking about.

You say Jaime Vendera has no system.  INCORRECT.  he has the Isolation method, which consists of 3 basic exercises with supplemental exercises. 

So much for you being business partners and "good friends".

The truth is you are an ACQUAINTANCE of Jaime Vendera's.  He trained PERSONALLY under Jim Gilette.  You make it sound like he started using Gillete's exercises once he saw you doing it?? He's been doing this for years.

"Ken Tamplin is a self absorbed business man because he bashes other coaches and their systems publicly. he is a fantastic singer but the way he conducts his business sometimes kind of sucks. Brett Manning isn't a saint either in that department. They are both a little too concerned with the bottom line of collecting money."

I don't even know where to start with this.

Look at how you're conducting your business! Going around trying to make bull**************** flakey claims about other coaches, and you're doing this INSIDE A THREAD WHICH IS ABOUT YOU FLAKING OUT ON LESSONS!!!! 

First of all Ken is a GENTLEMAN and doesn't go around talking **** about people like you do.  I've seen you many times doing this.  He constantly gives free material updates to people who have bought his course, and to claim he is some self absorbed business man just makes you look like a **** ****. 

You have tried to attack him once before, you know the thread I'm talking about, the one that got deleted a year ago on Lunte's forum.  Now I see you kissing Ken's ass on his comments pages trying to put yourself in the same league as him so that you can feel "safe". 

Get a **** grip. 

If you live in the New York City Area, try Craig Derry's Vocal Boot Camp.

$199/month for unlimited group vocal classes (6 days a week).

Here are some Youtube videos:

Vocal Boot Camp class:

Craig Derry bio and vocal demonstration

Class Performance from a student:

Info:

Craig Derry Group Classes Schedule / Location
    1674 Broadway New York, NY 8th Floor

(646) 597-9104

Vocal Work Out Classes
    Monday,Wednesday & Friday:
    100-120 Noon
    60-7:30 PM | 7:30-90 PM | 90-110 PM
    Tuesday & Thursday: 90-110 PM
    Sunday:  4:30-6:30 pm | 6:30 - 8:30 PM

Comment

In my opinion Bretts program is much better than any of the others it's by far the best but must be understood to be apprieciated. Unfortunatly you only really see the wood for the trees once you become a good singer which can take more time than most people are willing to spend it's hard to see the difference in coaches when you are just starting out. Spend some time watching his short videos on you tube he is a very gifted teacher. Ultimatly you have to decide what you think is right for you, see where it leads you.

Comment

• Jersey Jack
        Jersey Jack commented
        Editing a comment

Nothing wrong with Brett Manning's program--I got quite a bit out of it.  But he is not aiming at rock or metal singing, so if you're looking for that, look elsewhere.  Brett is very good for modern country or classic soul styles.

Kevin Richards is more classic rock-oriented, but not full-on metal.  I haven't looked too deeply at his program, but from I've seen it seems helpful.  For metal I hear that Robert Lunte and Jaime Vendera are good, but I don't have much interest or experience in this area.

Ken Tamplin is quirky, but his material is really good.  I believe I learned more from him than any other online instructor.

Tamplin.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>I like when they say a movie is inspired by a true story. That's kind of silly. &quot;Hey, did you hear that story about that lady who drove her car into the lake with her kids and they all drowned?&quot; &quot;Yeah, I did, and you know what - that inspires me to write a movie about a gorilla!&quot; </i><br />
      <br />
      <a href="http://www.facebook.com/wickedgardenvegas" target="_blank">My Band</a><br />
      <br />
      <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/DerekReno?feature=mhee" target="_blank">My YouTube Channel</a><br />
      <br />
      <a href="http://www.reverbnation.com/derekmanalo" target="_blank">My Cover Tunes</a></div>

Comment

• Jersey Jack
        Jersey Jack commented
        Editing a comment

For solid basic material (such as propoer breath support) I also recommend Jeannie Deva.  She's now working through ArtistWorks to provide vocal lesson videos (with feedback to student videos) for $30 a month.  You can view some sample lessons here and, if you're interested, sign up:

http://artistworks.com/vocal-lessons-jeannie-deva

She's really focused (and really good) on breathing in the beginner's lessons.  And she includes a fair amount of material on the way the voice works.

• staticsound
        staticsound commented
        Editing a comment

PrivRyan wrote:

So what do you use?

Pop won't be too bad. It'd help with what I want to do actually.

Tamplin.

• Scott Doolittle
        Scott Doolittle commented
        Editing a comment

Thanks for suggesting Ken Tamplin.

Brett Mannings program is good for building a good foundation and "getting" the styles. It's worth it's price and from there you can go to for example Jaime Vendera if you want more heavy style.

BUT: The most impotrant is that you USE IT and sing lots every day, it won't do any good collecting dust...

Comment

Hello guys i am going to introducing a new site about vocal coaching. In this site you can get free vocal lesson and premium service is also have in there. The site is howtosingsanfrancisco.com and visit this site to know more

Comment

• RocktheStageNYC
          Editing a comment
          "All the others mentioned are pure and utter crap -- don't take my word for it.. do some research... "

What research would you be referring to in regards to "Breaking the Chains"?

• GregoryRussell
          GregoryRussell commented
          Editing a comment

Anything to sell a few DVDs, Kevin.

Im not commenting on your technique. (there you go kevin - a few dvd sales). Im commenting on the way you conduct you business in terms of attendance. Not showing up the way you did and trailing me along his cold.

• Consume
          Consume commented
          Editing a comment

Yeah, Well let me know when Ken Tamplin finally breaks a glass with his voice, until then I'm  sticking with Jaime Vendera. Jaime Vendera has been teaching for years and he has some of the top vocalists in the world training under him. I promise you, James LaBrie from Dream Theater wouldn't be taking lesons from him if he wasn't a great vocal  instructor. I'm not saying Ken Tamplin isn't a good teacher, I'm saying Vendera's method works extremely well, and it is a heck of a lot less money.

I'd also suggest Robert Lunte. Lunte trained under maestro David Kyle, who trained singers such as Ted Pilot from Fifth Angel, Ann Wilson from Heart, Geoff Tate from Queensryche, and I have heard he also trained Warrel Dane from Sanctuary/Nevermore.

Also, Brian Vollmer from the band Helix has trained in Bel Canto for years, and he'sbeen teacjhjing for quite a few. I would suggest you go check out his website - because there is a LOT of great information that he is just giving away.

The key is to stick with Bel Canto-based programs because they include exercises that train your throat muscles in order to be able to sing correctly night after night, something the SLS programs do not do.
          I have some of Mannings material, one of which is a video in which he makes fun of open throat singing. Oneof the exercises I was impressed with, but his making fun of open-throat singing negated the usefulness of the other training on the video for me.

It's great to see some positive posts for Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy on here. :-)

Something we think is key in picking an online singing course is to check out the vocal coach him or herself. Can they actually sing well them selves?

Ken has demonstrated a ton of his own singing and his students singing! Not just words about it, but a lot of proof of his technique working (with many different styles too- from Dio to Christina Aguilara)

I thought I'd share a lesson he just did "How To Sing Like Richie Kotzen."You can watch it here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVyxBf6X52c This is a one hour free singing lesson to help people.

Richie himself saw it this weekend and commented on his facebook page:

"Awesome night with The Winery Dogs in Belo Horizonte Brazil!
        I felt more comfortable singing this new material tonight than on any of the previous gigs and I'm convinced it is because I watched this You Tube Video!!! (from Ken Tamplin)
        Ken Tamplin your instruction is spot on. As a teacher you know what your talking about! Mike Varney sent me the link a few nights ago...keep it up there. Hopefully this post helps direct more up and comers to your Vocal Academy! Best wishes! Rock On! RK"

For anyone that would like to know more about singing lessons at Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy we welcome you to stop by. :-)

Comment

I can also vouch for Tamplin.  I just got his program last week, and I can already see an improvement in my voice.  He also offers a crap load of bonus material.  He really makes it worth your money.

Comment

Do not get lessons with Kevin Richards. He is a good singer with great technique but he is unproffessional and unreliable. He cannot meet his own standards that he places on his own students.

He only attended one lesson out the four he was supposed to attend to. By his own proffessional standards, which is in his policy, it states, "Two consecutive absences will result in removal from the schedule with no refunds, makeups or credit. Please note that it is up to the student to communicate directly with Mr. Richards well enough in advance to plan any absences or rescheduled lessons."

What makes this situation even worse was that he either forgot to come to the lessons or he just decided to hang with his daughter last minute. On no occasion did he give me 24 hours notice. This is requirement for his own students, "24 hour cancellation required to avoid forfeit. NO EXCEPTIONS."

For more information on his policy, look here. http://www.rpmvocalstudio.com/singing-lessons.html

Comment

• PhilMoufarrege
              PhilMoufarrege commented
              Editing a comment

Gregory Russell, email me on phil.moufarrege@gmail.com I need to speak to you privately.

• Consume
              Consume commented
              Editing a comment

Wow! I go away for a while and come back to this train wreck. lol

• Cory Anderson
              Cory Anderson commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes i know it's late and This guy would probably have gotten something by now....But I recommend Brett and singing success........For me they are the Best.
              Also the guy from RockTheStage NYC has a good voice...Just saying

i might be able to help here. i bought per bristow's program the singing zone a while back and i got good results from it. he teaches the vocie in a way that any absolute newbie could begin flexing the vocal chords and get them in shape to do what you want them to do.

i bought the basic course, because i was intrigued after reading his articles online. he doesn't bother with scales, drills, and stuff. for the first few months it's just about getting the  vocal folds to stretch and eventually get them under your  control.

i did not upgrade, however, so i don't know his approach to "colour" those high and low notes once you can produce them. my results were very clean, very neutral-sounding high notes. i've taught myself to get my desireded mix of tones in my high and low notes.

so, yeah, check it out. it's a very refreshing approach to studying the voice. and no, i'm not an affiliate. cheers and please keep singing!

I write articles about voice and singing at <a href="http://nonotesinging.com">No Note Singing</a>

Comment

Edited.

Comment

what kind of userid is "cunte" anyway????

Hamilton Steele CD's / Hamilton Steele MP3 Downloads / Hamilton Steele iTunes

Comment

• cunte
                  cunte commented
                  Editing a comment

it's just an french middle name.

• ido1957
                  ido1957 commented
                  Editing a comment

cunte wrote:

it's just an french middle name.

Umm maybe but my BS meter is going off the charts....

I posted this in another thread but it is relevant here as well. There is so much confusion and mystery regarding how the voice works and how to train and improve it.

All efforts used in singing, except mental effort, is destructive, for it interferes with and retards the free action of the vocal organ. If the singer has to make any perceptible effort of breath or throat action to reach a certain note or certain effect, he may be sure that the vocal organ is more or less weak, for when the vocal organ is proportionately strong in all its parts, then all tones and shades come with the utmost ease, requiring only mental effort to produce them.

The part of the vocal organ which decides the volume, beauty, compass and most shading and articulation, is the tongue. The tongue sets into action the entire vocal mechanism. It is the only part that can contract with perfect ease and rapidity. Its muscles are attached at one end to a firm inflexible bone, the chin, and at the other end to the freely moving larynx and to other muscles. It lies between the hard and soft palate above and the larynx below, and works like a lever, trying to draw the palate and larynx toward each other. Now in just the degree that the tongue possesses strength, can it awaken force in the other parts of the vocal organ, because no muscle can exert greater power than is supplied by the resistance against which it acts and reacts.

You must realize that you must train the vocal organ and not the voice. Any voice method that does not primarily consider the instrument which produces the voice, is at best haphazard and unscientific.

Knowing how to strengthen the vocal organ is difficult matter for two reasons. Firstly, because the very important hyo-glossus muscle is invisible and secondly, because it is nowhere attached to a fixed bone like other muscles; it cannot be felt. However, methods of strengthening the vocal muscles have been around for almost a century and is the most important effective way of building a great voice. Still this is almost unknown to almost every vocal teacher out there.

Students of ordinary methods can repeat scales, yawn, sigh, hum, practice breathing, lip rolls, vowels, and tongue twisters ad nauseam but without direct attention to the mechanics of the vocal organ, and training to ensure that the larynx remains in a stable, balanced position allowing all parts of the vocal organ to co-ordinate smoothly, progress is limited and in many cases harmful.

A voice must be built - not simply trained. For only by building up the strength and by gaining full control of the vocal organ can a real voice be developed.

One such method is called the Feuchtinger method.

Best kept secret in the industry.

Comment

I have very good experience with Seth Riggs and his Speech Level Singing method. You can read my review:

http://www.squidoo.com/head-voice-singing-warm-ups-exercises-review

<a href="http://www.squidoo.com/head-voice-singing-warm-ups-exercises-review" target="_blank">My Experience with Speech Level Singing</a><br>

Comment

Working...
                  X