Singing through a Cold / Sinus Issues

ScratchTracks

• Members

Hello Everyone,
Does any one have tips on preparing and singing through a cold or Sinus / allergy issue?

I work in a highschool, so I'm exposed to a lot of the stuff the students have, my wife is a kindergarten teachers - so more there, then my oldest attends kindergarten in a different school, my middle is in daycare, and my baby is going to daycare soon...
So yeah... I'm screwed.. haha..

I try to watch my intake on dairy / citus etc... take vitamins and Cold FX which works great but not perfect, and use the netipot when needed.. but I'm always fighting with my range / power when singing (Even with my vocal warmups). Pushing like there is no tomorrow just to hit a note or two below what I normally can achieve...

I am not a professional singer (far from it), however, those that are who experience what I do, must work through it somehow, as "the show must go on"...

Any tips would be great (especially if you use them yourself with success)..

Thanks..

ps... I already change the key to 1/2 step down from standard/concert pitch when this happens -- helps, but barely..
Most of the original songs we perform as in the styling (For power and range) of Shinedown's Brent Smith..
So, if I'm off... I'm (once again) screwed..

d.

• Members

Constantly having colds is often a hygiene issue.

People get sick, feel better, and then come into contact
with the same germs again (which makes them sick again).

If you are sneezing in bed a lot, wash your bed sheets immediately.
Otherwise, you're sleeping in a cesspool of germs that will keep making your sick.

Also, I would say the most important thing is to wash your hands constantly.
The hands are one of the primary ways people come into contact with germs.
It's one of the reasons why I don't get sick from germs at work (while the rest of
my co-workers are sick all the time).

Whenever you come back home, make sure the first thing you
do is wash your hands.
That will prevent you from spreading germs that you collected
from work and on the way back home. Basically, anytime you go outside for a while
and come back indoors, you need to wash your hands.

Also, clean your work/office/study area periodically. I like to use rubbing alcohol and cotton balls.
Cotton balls absorb alcohol very well and distributes it evenly (instead of using it
all up in the first few wipes). I know this might sound excessive, but faucets and door knobs
are among the nastiest bacteria filled places at home/work/public areas. So you might want to wipe them clean occasionally (I'd say once a week is fine) using cotton balls and rubbing alcohol. They are places that people touch with their dirty hands and NEVER clean.

A study said that office desks often have 400 times the amount bacteria of toilets.
Lastly, when you wash your hands, SCRUB your hands thoroughly (and even between your fingers). Some people just dash soap and sprinkle some water on their hands. That drives me nuts. It's the hard scrubbing that removes germs. Just lightly dashing water and soap on your hands will hardly kill anything.

For cleaning floors, if possible, I would suggest using a steam mop. The steam really gets in there and
kills lots of germs.

So basically, the plan of action is:
Wash your hands constantly.
Clean your work area.
Clean any faucets and door knobs that you often use. (a trick some people do in public bathrooms is to grab a paper towel and then use it to touch the faucet).

I know this may sound excessive, but I'd say 50% of the men I see in public bathroom don't even wash their hands. And many of the others don't wash their hands properly (scrubbing vigorous around and between your fingers). That's almost as bad as not washing your hands.

Some other dirty things:
Your credit/ATM card
The dust sitting on top of the blades of your ceiling (often causes allergies and sinus problems)
Salt and pepper shakers
Light switches (no one EVER cleans them)

6 dirtiest areas in the workplace (dirty enough to spread serious illness):

break room sink faucet handles
microwave door handles
computer keyboards
refrigerator door handles
water fountain buttons
vending machine buttons

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/2...#ixzz2GDhKLVEy

Finally, make sure to open your window and get some fresh air into your room at least once a day.

• Members

Hygien is top notch... issue is, I work in a highschool, so everything those students get.. I'm exposed to.. My wife is a kindergarten teacher.. so she is exposed to different stuff, My oldest is in a different school and in kindergarten there.. so more stuff.. my middle is in daycare... even more.. and my youngest is about to go to daycare... so i'm screwed.. lol..

Hygen isn't an issue, as I wash more then a doctor, and even throw out my tooth brush when I'm not contegious anymore..

But besides that....

I'm only asking how to sing through these things, different experiences, tricks or tips.. type of thing.. i'm 41 years old, so I know about the normal stuff that was listed ... thanks though! I do appreaciate the replies, but I am confused why you thought I needed to be informed about your points, when it has nothing to do with what I was inquiring? Thought this was a singers forum and not a Molly Maid information session... ;-)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ScratchTracks View Post
Hygien is top notch... issue is, I work in a highschool, so everything those students get.. I'm exposed to.. My wife is a kindergarten teacher.. so she is exposed to different stuff, My oldest is in a different school and in kindergarten there.. so more stuff.. my middle is in daycare... even more.. and my youngest is about to go to daycare... so i'm screwed.. lol..

Hygen isn't an issue, as I wash more then a doctor, and even throw out my tooth brush when I'm not contegious anymore..

But besides that....

I'm only asking how to sing through these things, different experiences, tricks or tips.. type of thing.. i'm 41 years old, so I know about the normal stuff that was listed ... thanks though! I do appreaciate the replies, but I am confused why you thought I needed to be informed about your points, when it has nothing to do with what I was inquiring? Thought this was a singers forum and not a Molly Maid information session... ;-)
The idea was to prevent the things making you sick in the first place.

Here are some videos I found:

12 Tips for Singing While Sick with a Cold or Flu

Singing after a cold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvyhObSkcvk

Article:
http://zerop.hubpages.com/hub/Singin...a-Cold---Zerop

• Members

Stomach, headache/pain or lungs/nose? Different solutions follow but for all types the best thing you can do is drink water, lots and lots of water. The next best thing you can do is rest. Sleep, lie down or just recline and let your body do the work of healing uninterrupted.

• Members

Thank you for your replies.. I think I needed to be more specific.. I'm only looking for tricks of the trade on singing through a cold / sinus / allergies... Not how to take care of yourself to prevent, coup or deal with a cold or why people get sick to start with, or what type of sickness it is beyond the basic common cold (as mentioned), or allergies.

Again, thank you for the information, but I already know everything that has been suggested.

In light of this, an example would be : Use this product to break down the mucus on the chords, or do this type of vocal exercise to losen up the mucus and rejuvenate the vocals, or add lemon / honey to your drinks, etc...etc.... There are millions of things people do who are singers to help them get through their performances - so it is those tips and tricks I'm looking for...

thanks again.

• Members

Maybe Mucinex or another, similar product would be good to try? I used it a little several years ago when I had a cold and it seemed to help some. That was before I started trying to sing seriously though, so I don't know how much that would help in regards to singing..

Archived