Good Recording Mic?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Conversation Detail Module
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Recording Mic?

I want to start recording myself singing both to be able to hear where I need more help and to get an idea of what types of music my voice is best for.

I only have a headset mic right now and it definitely isn't working. So what mic is easy enough for someone new to recording quality mics to use, but still has good quality?

I was looking at this one because I don't have any recording equipment and it plugs straight into my pc.

Yup. That's a good one

If you have the money, get 2 mics:

A condenser mic (for studio-quality recordings)

A dynamic mic (for live recordings)

I would recommend:

Condenser mic - MXL V67G

Dynamic mic - Electro-Voice N/D767a

• Anderton
          Anderton commented
          Editing a comment

I didn't expect to be impressed by this mic from TC Electronic, but it gets a lot of things right. It's a dynamic, but has a little more brightness than something like an SM58.

Remember that mics and voices are a pair. What sounds good with my voice might not sound good with yours, and vice-versa. I sing fairly close to the mic and do use processing, and the MP-70 is sort of optimized for that. It's best for live, but it's a good studio mic too. OTOH for narration I use an AT-3035 condenser...entirely different application.

• deepflight
          deepflight commented
          Editing a comment

Maybe this isn't 100% relevant, but I was given a SM58 for Christmas, with an XLR to USB connector.  It hooks up to my computer very easily and it sounds great to me.