Finally broke down and got a new vocal mic...

EightString

• Members

After decades of using the same old SM58 mics (not even Betas), I purchased a Shure Super 55.

I like the sound of my old 58s, so I wasn't looking for a big change in character, just more punch and clarity, and since the Super 55 is based on a Beta 58 capsule, seemed like it would fit the bill.

It only took less than a minute of A/B-ing the mics to want to throw my old 58s in the recycle bin. Not really, I'll keep 'em around for other singers if I'm providing a PA for some jam or something.

But the improvement was very noticeable. The Super 55 sounded much more crisp, like I was singing into a studio condenser, but it still had the warmth of my old 58s that I liked.

Anyway, I am looking forward to my jazz gig tomorrow night, not only because my vocals will sound better, but because the mic is dead sexy too.

super55_high_res.jpg

Also, if it was good enough for Sinatra... biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by grace_slick View Post
HAH! Sexy!

I have an SM58. Does this make me lame? lol *hanging head in potential shame*
A 58 is a great workhorse/standard for live vocals. Nothing wrong with em. I myself was always of the "ain't broke? Don't fix it." mindset regarding my 58s.

I just figured with all my jazz gigging lately, where the vocal is so "present" compared to other genres, a little more clarity would be nice.

We'll see how it goes tonight at my gig.

• Members

Wow, that was something else last night. biggrin.gif

I had to sing a lot differently, but in a good way. The mic was capturing all of these extra nuances, like dynamics and articulation in the higher frequencies. It gave me SO much more to play with in terms of interpreting the songs, and I was able to "work" the mic more. Some really nice stuff came out when I would get right up into the mic and sing softly on quieter intimate passages. I did reduce my usual vocal compressor effect level last night because the mic was so much better at transmitting a more dynamic performance.

But I also had to be much more focused than usual because this mic reveals ALL, and would not let me get away with lazy sloppiness of any kind.

Funny how a better mic can force you to step up your game. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by EightString View Post
Wow, that was something else last night. biggrin.gif

I had to sing a lot differently, but in a good way. The mic was capturing all of these extra nuances, like dynamics and articulation in the higher frequencies. It gave me SO much more to play with in terms of interpreting the songs, and I was able to "work" the mic more. Some really nice stuff came out when I would get right up into the mic and sing softly on quieter intimate passages. I did reduce my usual vocal compressor effect level last night because the mic was so much better at transmitting a more dynamic performance.

But I also had to be much more focused than usual because this mic reveals ALL, and would not let me get away with lazy sloppiness of any kind.

Funny how a better mic can force you to step up your game. thumb.gif
Did you record anything from the show. I would love to hear it! biggrin.gif
Maybe you could post something here. If it's not too sexy, that is. LOL

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by RobertHouse View Post
Did you record anything from the show. I would love to hear it! biggrin.gif
Maybe you could post something here. If it's not too sexy, that is. LOL

Haha!

Getting up and running that night was a bit chaotic, so no time to set up for recordings or video. However, I do intend to post a song or two using the new mic. I'll try to keep the "sexy" to a dull roar. icon_lol.gif

Archived