What do you do that is detrimental to your voice, but you still do it?

grace_slick

• Members

So? C'mon people, let's be honest here. I'm sure we all do SOMETHING that we know makes our voices potentially suck, but we can't help but do it still? :facepalm:

For me, it's

1. Smoking

2. Drinking dairy-based things immediately before singing (I know. STUPID! But I get hungry at the same time I tend to get free space at home to sing, and always crave dairy cause it's filling but low fat)

:wave:

• Members

I stopped drinking years ago, and it helped.

I'm still guilty of an iced mocha habit... caffeine and milk being a double no-no. :(

However, I notice no detrimental effects from the mochas, and even drink them during 5hr gigs, so I must be resistant/immune to vocal dairy/coffee issues.

One thing... I CANNOT eat popcorn within about 24 hours of a gig. If I sing after eating popcorn, it introduces coughing fits. Talking is fine, but singing? Popcorn REALLY jacks me up. :mad:

• Members

I stopped drinking years ago, and it helped.

I'm still guilty of an iced mocha habit... caffeine and milk being a double no-no.
:(

However, I notice no detrimental effects from the mochas, and even drink them during 5hr gigs, so I must be resistant/immune to vocal dairy/coffee issues.

One thing... I CANNOT eat popcorn within about 24 hours of a gig. If I sing after eating popcorn, it introduces coughing fits. Talking is fine, but singing? Popcorn REALLY jacks me up.
:mad:

Popcorn, huh? That's rather peculiar, if I must say. Another thing to avoid, I guess. lol I think I've trained my voice to sing decently even after consuming things that'd be detrimental to my vocal health..

• Members

Popcorn, huh? That's rather peculiar, if I must say. Another thing to avoid, I guess. lol I think I've trained my voice to sing decently even after consuming things that'd be detrimental to my vocal health..

Yeah, I can eat salty chips, basically just about anything, but no popcorn. Strange thing is, I can drink water afterward all I want, and I still have the coughing problem.

• Moderators

Not practicing as much as I should.. :(

Should make a point to practice at least an hour a day. But would end up doing things like practicing 20 mins or practicing 3 hours straight then skip a day or two. :facepalm:

Oh yeah, eating late is another one...

• Members

I eat late. I tend to have my nightly snacks around 9pm - 10pm and then go to bed around 11pm. So that's another thing I do wrong, heheh.

Wow, popcorn, eh? I find when I eat popcorn, my lips get REALLY weird. Like all tingly and almost numb. They feel like they've gone prune-like, like how your fingers do if you're in the water for too long, you know? And yet eating salty chips doesn't produce this weird prune-lip syndrome. Maybe popcorn has some sort of unique thing in it that causes prune-lip and cough-sing syndromes. It must.

Masklin, "because of reasons". Love that. LOL

Edit - and you know what? It's now a couple of hours later, and I am eating peanut butter and then I'll practice singing some of the songs I'm doing for a gig in Second Life in a week or too. PEANUT BUTTER is not good when you're singing. ANOTHER bad thing I do!

• Members

I eat late. I tend to have my nightly snacks around 9pm - 10pm and then go to bed around 11pm. So that's another thing I do wrong, heheh.

Popular misconception - late night snacking/eating in itself is not bad, unless it means you are eating *more* than you would normally consume in a given day. Calories in vs calories burned.

• Members

Popular misconception - late night snacking/eating in itself is not bad, unless it means you are eating *more* than you would normally consume in a given day. Calories in vs calories burned.

This is true. Eating before bed doesn't cause weight gain. Most believe that because you are eating and not working it off you gain weight. What actually matters is not what time you eat but total calorie intake in a 24 hour period. Eat more than you need and you gain whether you ate it at noon or midnight. People seem to worry about eating and not working it off because they're sleeping but never consider that they're also not eating for eight hours while they sleep.

I'm not sure if Grace was saying eating before bed was bad in general or bad for the voice though(?).

• Members

Well, I do drink beer and some coffee, but the biggest thing was (notice I said was) smoking. It's been 5 months and my voice has not been this clear & strong in 15 years. It's what keeps me going with music again. Ditching those overpriced sticks of leaves & paper was the best thing I've done for my voice, my wallet and my life.

Hooray.

• Members

Yeah, I can't give up smoking and drinking!!! LOL

The hardest thing for my is CHEESE. I sing everyday and I'm not supposed to eat cheese for hours before singing. Well, I sneak some all to often.

But I wash it down with a beer and a cigarrette to balance things out. ;D

Beer and cigarettes at 13 years old? :eek:

Archived