Cannot do vocal fry...

brebis

• Members

Hi,

I watched a few videos about vocal fry and it seems a good thing to know, particularly to learn to sing more relaxed. The trouble is that when I try to do it my voice makes a sort high-pitched sound with very low volume, not really what's supposed to be heard.

Is there a method on the Web I could use to teach myself? Do you have any advice?

Thank you for your help.

• Members

Like everything else in singing it's a guessing game until you got it down.

Perhaps listen to some gospel bass singers. The majority of those fry the very low notes, say Bb1 and down.

Or you could try the mongolian throat singers. It's a very special type of fry but perhaps imitating them will help you.

I think the girl in 'The Grudge' makes a frying sound whenever she's at large. Check it out on youtube.

Frying to me requires less muscles than normal singing, so when you attempt frying, don't imagine that you have to push or stress anything at all. You should feel vibrations in your soft palate and a little bit in your larynx.

Good luck!

• Members

I think the girl in 'The Grudge' makes a frying sound whenever she's at large. Check it out on youtube.

OMG, I'd totally forgotten all about that horrible sound in The Grudge!! I am freaked out now...and it's dark here too...*hiding in a corner, shivering*

• Members

OMG, stop it!!! It's night time again and I can hear her scuttling and vocal frying!!!!!!

Here ya go Gracie!

[video=youtube;3XwWIepDRp4]

But seriously, vocal fry is probably one of the easiest things to do, and requires almost no effort. Like I said before, try blowing as little air over your cords as possible....or try to mimic Elmer Fudd....seriously

• Members

Hi,

I watched a few videos about vocal fry and it seems a good thing to know, particularly to learn to sing more relaxed. The trouble is that when I try to do it my voice makes a sort high-pitched sound with very low volume, not really what's supposed to be heard.

Is there a method on the Web I could use to teach myself? Do you have any advice?

Thank you for your help.

What is it you would hope to gain from Vocal 'Fry' ?