How many different "voices" do you have?

• Members

Pseudo-classical, punk, Grimey rap voice, pure head voice, twangy head voice, head voice that's not as twangy, chest voice, soft chest voice, Cockney indie voice, staccato 'crying voice, false vocal cord scream high and low, fry scream shriek/growl/mid, a fairly weak whistle voice

• Moderators

I usually just use one main type of voice. I occasionally use other types of voices, but I try to avoid it because it sometimes tires my voice quicker or throws my registers out of balance.

Some voices I use: Rock grit, bluesy twang, operatic, soft croon, countertenor.

My main voice is basically a mishmash of all those. lol :rolleyes:

• Members

Everything from jazz and twangy country to thrash metal. I sound like "me" when I choose to, but I also do reasonable impersonations of a lot of singers.

Tonight, as part of my show, I did Louis Armstrong, Ian Gillan, James Hetfield, Lemmy, Rob Halford, Nat King Cole, Willie Nelson, Billy Joel, Don Dokken, Ray Charles, Dio, Sinatra, Sting, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, jimi, Jim Morrison, etc.

• Members

Everything from jazz and twangy country to thrash metal. I sound like "me" when I choose to, but I also do reasonable impersonations of a lot of singers.

Tonight, as part of my show, I did Louis Armstrong, Ian Gillan, James Hetfield, Lemmy, Rob Halford, Nat King Cole, Willie Nelson, Billy Joel, Don Dokken, Ray Charles, Dio, Sinatra, Sting, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour, jimi, Jim Morrison, etc.

You do Lemmy, now your talking, or should I say singing. :)

• Members

I think so...I have huge issues with belting, and don't know how to really do it, but everyone with standard vocal chords can technically use their voices in all those ways...falsetto, belting, screaming, growling, and so on...you just have to know the ways to do it.

• Members

I've always been wondering this. Can all the styles be learned by everyone? Like belting, screaming and falsetto's with an edge?

Good question... since voice is a product of anatomy (which differs from person to person) as well as training... I would say a cautious "yes" but the quality may vary greatly :)

• Members

One voice. That's all any good singer needs. It's the amateurs who try to sing in multiple ways.

When Johnny cash sings he doesn't sound like Prince, then Paul McCartney, then Frank Sinatra does he? Of course not. EVERY time he sings he sounds like Johnny Cash. 99.99 % of all successful singers sound like THEMSELVES. And 99% of that 99.99% sing very close to the same way, song after song after song after song.

Amateur wannabes are different though. They try, in vain, to sing like their favorite singer in one song, then like another different singer in another song, then they hear someone singing high falsetto and they have to sing like that too, then they hear a great baritone so they have to sing like that too, then they hear someone singing softly with great success so they then must sing softly, but later on they hear someone singing loudly with great success so they think they then have to master loud singing etc etc etc.

Pretty much all the famous, really good and successful singers ... sound like THEMSELVES, and sing in their OWN unique voice.

This is partially true but is also completely wrong. A lot of the people you mentioned are amateur singers who happened to get successful.

- The fact that these people are limited by their own sound/choose to only use their own sound means they have a distinctive 'brand' as a popstar.

- As a session vocalist... well... versatility is a must. Good session vocalists are really far more professional than the people you mentioned - Johnny Cash in particular.

Another point - Lana Del Rey is also quite successful and has at least 3 voices on record: high girly; low sultry and 'rap' voice.

• Moderators

I disapprove of y'all niggas' usage of the word 'voice'.

Just lettin' niggas know.

Of course there's only one voice. My voice sounds like MY voice no matter what I sing. But I think everyone is referring to vocal style and also vocal colour. The voice is capable of producing many different colours.

• Members

Which is better, having your "own" voice, or having your "own" voice AND being able to adapt to sound like other singers too?

The two aren't mutually exclusive, and I would say that one can learn a LOT about his or her own voice by attempting to duplicate the sounds of others.

• Members

Which is better, having your "own" voice, or having your "own" voice AND being able to adapt to sound like other singers too?

The two aren't mutually exclusive, and I would say that one can learn a LOT about his or her own voice by attempting to duplicate the sounds of others.

+1

• Members

One voice. That's all any good singer needs. It's the amateurs who try to sing in multiple ways.

When Johnny cash sings he doesn't sound like Prince, then Paul McCartney, then Frank Sinatra does he? Of course not. EVERY time he sings he sounds like Johnny Cash. 99.99 % of all successful singers sound like THEMSELVES. And 99% of that 99.99% sing very close to the same way, song after song after song after song.

Amateur wannabes are different though. They try, in vain, to sing like their favorite singer in one song, then like another different singer in another song, then they hear someone singing high falsetto and they have to sing like that too, then they hear a great baritone so they have to sing like that too, then they hear someone singing softly with great success so they then must sing softly, but later on they hear someone singing loudly with great success so they think they then have to master loud singing etc etc etc.

Pretty much all the famous, really good and successful singers ... sound like THEMSELVES, and sing in their OWN unique voice.

I can sing anything from Journey to Marylin Manson...that makes me an an amateur?....lol

• Members

I can sing anything from Journey to Marylin Manson...that makes me an an amateur?....lol

No - spending time on harmonycentral is what makes you an amateur ;)

I'm kidding but I think that guys view on anti-versatility is absurd.