Critique me!!

triq

• Members

A little background...

Been singing since I could talk. Now 31. Self taught, first through imitation, then through exploration of my voice. I have my problem areas of course. I think we all do - even those who are considered the best of the best. Been considering seeking some vocal training to try and work on those problem areas, but I'm a single parent, full time nursing student and work part time so I have an immensely busy schedule. I'm not a terribly polished singer. I don't really have that kind of discipline. My diction sucks from time to time. I'm notorious for dropping the last word of a phrase so that everything ends with a nice open vowel sound. In my opinion, I'm a mess, professionally speaking. But I'd like to work on it.

The links below are covers, done on a karaoke website. They are done in a single continuous take. I used a Rode NT1-A through a Bheringer X1202 mixer patched into my computer's stereo mix. The added effects for most of my recordings are a reverb/delay mix and compression. I tend to go thick on the reverb because I grew up singing in concrete stairwells and love the resonance. Anyway, I'll stop blithering and post some links.

The power ballad: http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b9947cf00

The cute jazzy song: http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/c4b9453e0

The gender bender (me doing both parts): http://www.singsnap.com/karaoke/r/b766a8cda

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

• Members

Welcome to the forum!
:wave:

I honestly think you sound great. Your voice sounds professional and quite versatile.

I don't think I hear any issues with your singing or voice. What issues are you having?

Thanks for the welcome, davie :)

Well, the issues started because I stopped singing for about a year. When I started again, it was like I was learning all over again. I had no phrase control, no breath control. That was 3 years ago. It's coming back, but I seem to have forgotten a lot of the tricks I used to know. And with no formal training, I have no theoretical knowledge to fall back on.

Right now I'm at the point of trying to restore what my range once was. There was a time 6 or so years ago when I could slip into whistle. That muscle memory is gone. My range is improving slowly with time and practice, but it isn't what it once was. I'm not sure if it's an issue of being rusty or an issue of aging.

The other issue I'm having is moving from chest to head. Getting over that hump in the transition. I have more control over it than I did a year ago, but it's still not as effortless as I'd like it to be.

Some other things....I want my whisper tones to be softer, airier. I've lost some of that control too and I'm a "punchy" singer by nature so I'm finding it difficult to regain it. I also need to work on my falsetto range.

Geez. Sorry for the laundry list.

• Moderators

I think your voice was probably mainly affected by lack of practice. Probably not from aging. But I heard that women's voices can change after having kids though.

But yeah, judging from your clips it sounds like you have strong chest voice and a relatively weaker head voice. I think that happens to a lot of singers because they belt using too much chest voice. When the registers are imbalanced then its hard to transition. I should know, its my biggest issue. :facepalm: Anyway, the best thing to do is probably to develop the head voice more. My teacher mentioned to me that the only way to get your complete belt voice is to first develop your head voice. You could try practicing exercises that work on carrying the high head voice/falsetto notes down to the lowest notes, which helps strengthen the top notes and tightening the bottom notes, stopping them from getting too heavy.

• Members

I think your voice was probably mainly affected by lack of practice.

At first read, I thought this said "patience" instead of practice. Haha! Though, I do lack patience.

But I heard that women's voices can change after having kids though.

Absolutely. I wonder if it has something to do with diaphragm displacement or atrophy or something.

But yeah, judging from your clips it sounds like you have strong chest voice and a relatively weaker head voice. I think that happens to a lot of singers because they belt using too much chest voice. When the registers are imbalanced then its hard to transition. I should know, its my biggest issue. Anyway, the best thing to do is probably to develop the head voice more. My teacher mentioned to me that the only way to get your complete belt voice is to first develop your head voice. You could try practicing exercises that work on carrying the high head voice/falsetto notes down to the lowest notes, which helps strengthen the top notes and tightening the bottom notes, stopping them from getting too heavy.

Excellent observation and advice.

• Members

Have you thought about starting a youtube channel?

I have. Working on getting a decent keyboard so I can do my own arrangements though. Also need a more respectable webcam. The one I have stinks. It's in the works.

• Members

If you want to do "karaoke" a synth that can run MIDI files is awesome. I load MIDI's and crank our Korg Triton Extreme through the PA. Shot a youtube video with it to kick off the 100 years before 2112. It's alright... if you don't have the time to play in a band.

Archived