Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singers that sound black (even though they are not)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elvis didn't sound black to me...

Nor I
    Vocal Gear: Audix OM3xb, Boss VE-20 | Synth Gear: Muse Receptor V1.0 | Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Roland AX7

Comment

Y'all be hatin' on white folk...

... I would like to claim that this categorization is superfluous. Singers are persons, and as such unique.

We have an expression here in Sweden, that translated directly (i.e. losing the rhyme in the process) becomes something like 'preferences are like your anus'. The point is that opinions will often differ, and sometimes there is no point in arguing about it.

Smaken är som baken!

I'm Masklin. How was your day?

Comment

(and I'm not even much of an Elvis fan).

That is apparent by your over-simplification of what Sam Phillips was looking for, and Elvis' early "sound".
        Music -

My band: http://www.facebook.com/drfeelgoodband

Comment

Y'all be hatin' on white folk...

... I would like to claim that this categorization is superfluous. Singers are persons, and as such unique.

We have an expression here in Sweden, that translated directly (i.e. losing the rhyme in the process) becomes something like 'preferences are like your anus'. The point is that opinions will often differ, and sometimes there is no point in arguing about it.

Smaken är som baken!

do swedes even know what black people look like?

Comment

Wow - was I *ever* not expecting that voice!

He's got a ton of soul!
            But his machine gun vibrato is pretty fast kinda detracting from his awesomeness.
            http://www.soundclick.com/bands/JohnBenussi

Formerly known as Johnny_B

Comment

• nomadh
              nomadh commented
              Editing a comment

David Clayton Thomas  Blood, sweat and tears.

Cory Glover  Living Colour  

Also I heard that white venues were very surprised that a black man showed up when they booked Chuck Berry as a reverse of the subjct.

Well, I sure agree with the latter part---bell-bottomed, scarfed Elvis as a lounge/torch singer, but the first part is just WRONG. Check your history. Sam Phillips was EXACTLY looking for a White guy who could sing Black music....Hound Dog was Big Mama Thornton and it's really a woman's song about a (what else?) bad man. Jail House Rock is similar. Elvis was the crossover between the Black R&B of the time and mainstream America....not that he didn't do it brilliantly, because he did (and I'm not even much of an Elvis fan).

I think Phillips was looking for a white blues shouter. Back then white singers crooned. Elvis's voice doesn't have the timbre of a black voice but he had the style of a blues singer.

Comment

elvis sounds as black as eminem sounds black.

Comment

You guys should checkout "allen stone" Crazy talented SouL Singer
                http://www.youtube.com/100JamesX

Comment

i went to prep school with this dude - singer/keys

he's a white guy. in HS he was a total wigga gangsta wannabe. he obviously developed a lot.

Comment

That is apparent by your over-simplification of what Sam Phillips was looking for, and Elvis' early "sound".

How do you deal with the nose-bleeds in that ivory tower of condescension?

Comment

Just realized that Gin Wigmore sounds like the singer from the Noisettes.

Comment

This guy sings GREAT. I love that slightly breathy sound he gets. And he seamlessly goes from chest to head, and back again, throughout the entire song.

Singing well has got absolutely nothing to do with ethnicity, apart from the "cultural" element.

Comment

Just read this today.
                          Linked from the CNN website:

http://madamenoire.com/96595/well-you-dont-say-10-white-singers-we-once-thought-were-black/

Comment

Don't know, but I sometimes feel like my voice sounds borderline black. lol

Comment

He describes himself as a hippie soul artist.

His video played on VH1 Soul. So apparently he sounded black enough to be on the show.

Will never win an award for a pretty face, but his voice will likely turn heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Hy6kp5kIs

Comment

• rangefinder
                                rangefinder commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Justin Timberlake wins this category. Hands down.

Working...
                            X