Open mic adventure - singing unaccompanied

deepflight

• Members

Tonight I gathered up my courage and went out to an open mic again-- this was my second time ever doing that. It went remarkably well. I sang unaccompanied/a cappella as I usually do (there is no instrument that I don't suck at playing , though I'm working on it), a couple of songs about beer/drinking, followed by a drinking song. By the time I got to the end I had everyone singing along. It was fun and felt *so* good. Several people told me afterward that they really enjoyed it, the guy who was running the open mic made a point of telling me that I was the hit of the night, and a couple of people asked me if I play out anywhere(!).

Good Lord that was fun!!!

One thing though, I was told I could do four songs so I tried to come up with songs that went together, yet also sounded different enough not to be monotonous. I think I succeeded, but it took some thinking about and would be more difficult with a longer set. Does anyone else here ever perform unaccompanied or solo, and if so, how do you solve the monotony problem?

• Members

I'm building myself to do my first open mic soon, so I'd be interested to hear waht tips everyone has got.

Any advice for a first time open micer deepflight?

Also very brave to sing acapella, at least I will have my acoustic guitar to hide behind!!

• Members

I'm building myself to do my first open mic soon, so I'd be interested to hear waht tips everyone has got.

Any advice for a first time open micer deepflight?

Also very brave to sing acapella, at least I will have my acoustic guitar to hide behind!!

• Members

It's not like I have vast experience, but I'm with ido1957, just do it.

Beyond that, I'd say get there early, introduce yourself to whoever is running things, let him/her know that it is your first time out, and find out what the parameters for that particular open mic are. You will probably look that up in advance but it doesn't hurt to ask.

• Members

It's not like I have vast experience, but I'm with ido1957, just do it.

Beyond that, I'd say get there early, introduce yourself to whoever is running things, let him/her know that it is your first time out, and find out what the parameters for that particular open mic are. You will probably look that up in advance but it doesn't hurt to ask.

• Members

I really have a problem with a cappela - I start in one key and end up half a step lower. Every time. When I lower the key, it still happens.

So I need a guitar or piano, but still can't sing at 100% when I'm trying to play. It's bad enough when I'm on drums, which is my main instrument. :cry:

• Members

I really have a problem with a cappela - I start in one key and end up half a step lower. Every time. When I lower the key, it still happens.

So I need a guitar or piano, but still can't sing at 100% when I'm trying to play. It's bad enough when I'm on drums, which is my main instrument.
:cry:

That can sometimes happen if you have relatively large interval at the beginning of a phrase at one point in a song and you don't quite hit it. Sometimes it can be hard to hear yourself do that as you are singing, and because everything else is relative, you wind up going down half a step. Try recording yourself, listen for where that happens if you can't hear it when you are doing it, and then practice the hell out of the interval until you get it. Sometimes it's an issue of what word you are singing at that particular point in the song that makes it more difficult to hit the note perfectly.

• Members

That can sometimes happen if you have relatively large interval at the beginning of a phrase at one point in a song and you don't quite hit it. Sometimes it can be hard to hear yourself do that as you are singing, and because everything else is relative, you wind up going down half a step. Try recording yourself, listen for where that happens if you can't hear it when you are doing it, and then practice the hell out of the interval until you get it. Sometimes it's an issue of what word you are singing at that particular point in the song that makes it more difficult to hit the note perfectly.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I record myself a lot but never thought of the interval problem.

Archived