Any errors eluding my ears?

Masklin

• Members

As far as I can tell:

- Strain on the highs (i.e. most notes above G3)

- Excessive nasality on spots

- A bit off pitch when rapdily switching notes (f.x. the last phrase sung)

Anything else I should bring to conscious level? It's hard to defeat an enemy you can't perceive, lol rite?

It's a very short clip maybe 30 secs or so, because I don't want to waste too much of your time.

http://picosong.com/tBj

:wave:

Masklin

• Moderators

Your higher notes don't sound really strained to me. Maybe only one higher note sounded slightly strained ("Of" many).

Overall I thought your pitch was pretty good. Maybe only slightly flat on a couple of notes. And maybe slightly sharp on a few low notes.

• Members

The strain might not sound obvious, but I feel it as I sing. It's a sensation of 'if I wanted to, I couldn't increase my volume without onset of pain'.

The low notes are not off pitch to me. Are you sure about this? Could someone else check it?

• Members

Little nasality in spots. You might try staying in chest voice, see how that sounds. Pitch is pretty close. If you used a little more vibrato then the slight pitch error might disappear. Maybe working out the melody on a keyboard and singing along with the keyboard melody would help in spots. Overall you are singing good and with reverb and echo a lot of tiny flaws might disappear. I think the timing (rhythm) of the guitar is slightly off with the vocal but maybe it's the arrangement. I'd try using tremolo with a deep open voicing to hear how it sounds on recordings.

Pitch sounds good to me on low notes "where" at 10.36 "ball" at 13.12. Maybe very slight problem at "Orleans" 23.73.

Overall I think it's pretty good and for a live show it's fine.

• Members

You have a VERY guttural sounding voice, from your low notes to the higher ones. No variety of tone, or interpretation of the lyric meanings. The whole piece sounded extremely strained/labored to me, especially the very low notes and higher notes. It sounded like you were trying to produce a certain vocal sound, rather than singing in your natural given voice. Sorry I couldn't be more positive.

My advice ... sing in your natural voice, within your natural range, and whilst singing lose yourself in the lyrics. That will improve your sound and introduce necessary variety and interpretation.

Unless we're judging someone via vocal athletics, the mark of a good singer is the "sound and interpretation", not the range.

If you're not a natural bass then it doesn't matter if you can't comfortably hit low bass notes. If you're not a natural high tenor, it doesn't matter if you can't comfortably sing high female range notes. A huge mistake is to try to emulate the range of other singers, as that leads to a lifetime of disappointment for the vast majority of singers. Be "yourself", and you'll sound fine.

Your voice has promise.

• Members

You have a VERY guttural sounding voice, from your low notes to the higher ones. No variety of tone, or interpretation of the lyric meanings. The whole piece sounded extremely strained/labored to me, especially the very low notes and higher notes. It sounded like you were trying to produce a certain vocal sound, rather than singing in your natural given voice. Sorry I couldn't be more positive.

My advice ... sing in your natural voice, within your natural range, and whilst singing lose yourself in the lyrics. That will improve your sound and introduce necessary variety and interpretation.

I agree strongly with this. It didn't sound natural, but rather forced.

Try to just feel natural with your voice while singing. Let it come out as it would naturally come out without trying to make it sound a certain way.

• Members

Unless we're judging someone via vocal athletics, the mark of a good singer is the "sound and interpretation", not the range.

If you're not a natural bass then it doesn't matter if you can't comfortably hit low bass notes. If you're not a natural high tenor, it doesn't matter if you can't comfortably sing high female range notes. A huge mistake is to try to emulate the range of other singers, as that leads to a lifetime of disappointment for the vast majority of singers. Be "yourself", and you'll sound fine.

Your voice has promise.

I like this post! My coment to you Masklin is that, like many singers, you are trying way to hard on trying to sound like someone and totaly missing the delivery of the lyrics, placement of the words, and melody. It sounds like you want the sound and ignored the delivery. Sounds boring and forced.

Rod

• Members

Try to just feel natural with your voice while singing. Let it come out as it would naturally come out without trying to make it sound a certain way.

I don't feel like I'm trying to emulate someone else, and I don't feel guttural or strained. I focus on placing the notes where they resonate... maybe I'm doing it wrong and it comes out as pretentious?

• Members

I don't feel like I'm trying to emulate someone else, and I don't feel guttural or strained. I focus on placing the notes where they resonate... maybe I'm doing it wrong and it comes out as pretentious?

Hmm.. maybe I'm wrong then? :p

• Members

I really like your voice.

Sometimes it sounds like your straining to reach the low notes, like they're too low in your range or something. But I'm no expert, it just sounds like that to me.

I really like the tone of your voice though, sounds pretty original and there's a lot of feeling in it.

• Members

I feel like I'm in chest throughout the entire clip.

I experience that in my practice also. I think that I'm singing in chest voice but hear some nasal tones in the recording. I wonder if I can accurately hear myself while singing.

It's hard for me to listen to "House Of The Rising Sun" and not think of The Animals' version.

• Members

I don't really feel qualified to comment technically on anyone's singing. In general, I liked it. However, I noted that you are less growl-y when you get up higher. The growl-y-ness sounds cool, but it is also cool when you are less so. It might be interesting for you to try singing this higher and lower and see what you like.

• Members

I don't really feel qualified to comment technically on anyone's singing. In general, I liked it. However, I noted that you are less growl-y when you get up higher. The growl-y-ness sounds cool, but it is also cool when you are less so. It might be interesting for you to try singing this higher and lower and see what you like.

I'm not sure about what you mean with growlyness. What I AM sure of is that I can not shift the key either up or down, since the song stretches two full octaves, incidentally my entire register, give or take a few notes. In A minor, it is already outside of my tessitura. If I shift it, {censored} will hit the fan.

:/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I like your tone a lot, and your low notes, nice and resonant! Your tuning is great, well done!

When you go high, don't think "up", think "connect the sound with the middle range" and try to maintain the same relaxed feeling as you have in the middle of your voice. When you are singing phrases up high, practice really "singing through" the phrase, nice and legato - this will help connect the sound to your breath support.

Good stuff, congrats!

Andrew

• Members

As far as I can tell:

- Strain on the highs (i.e. most notes above G3)

- Excessive nasality on spots

- A bit off pitch when rapdily switching notes (f.x. the last phrase sung)

Anything else I should bring to conscious level? It's hard to defeat an enemy you can't perceive, lol rite? Masklin

Damn, I didn't know you could hit those low notes! (I'm jelly) ;)

I feel as though the song's key was one or 2 half steps too low

(because it seemed evident that the low notes were pushed) but

then I listened to the high notes and I indeed heard you strain, at one point

your vibrato fluctuated from fast to erratic to compensate for the high note.

The best advice I can give you for that: keep singing the high notes!

The muscles responsible will build, tear and repair (like weightlifting) and

then rest for 2 days without even singing. Then repeat, do it again.

By the week's end you should be able to hit dem notes with ease.

If not? Repeat. Conditioning your voice to know songs is key.

I agree with your astute observations on all points.

Don't stop singing, I like what I hear. :idea:

• Members

Your voice has promise.

Holy {censored}-to!

What a damn nice post, I'm sorry I missed it.

And I don't think Rod nor Nhoj was telling you that you were emulating the actual SINGER, just

the ranges that those singers CAN span with ease...make sense?

This also means that if you're having to strain both the low and high octaves...It may not be a great idea

to sing any song that is technically out of *your* range IF your intention is to sing the song in the SAME fashion as the original's lead did...

without any hint of improvisation/nor "making it your own" -as they say...

Archived