How the hell do u cooridnate everyone to show up to a rehearsal?

DukeOfBoom

• Members

Now that the Duke has formed a band of merryman, the challenge arises for the Duke to coordinate everyone to show up to rehearsal at...get this...the same time.

One guy, who unfortunately is the least proficient musician, is always there and always a good sport.

The other guy has canceled an hour or two before rehearsal a couple times. This guy plays an instrument that is in short-supply and is necessary.

The other guy, he lost his car or something. I don't know. When he tries explains what happened I get a headache as he keeps talking in circles.

In a perfect world the Duke would start yelling and beating these guys into submission until they conform to my desires and wishes to schedule a once-weekly pre-determined rehearsal. However, this isn't a perfect world.

It has taken me months to assemble this band of cretins, and I practice nearly every day for an hour or two.

Now, these players say that music is so important for them, but yet why the hell is it so hard to make rehearsal? I can guarantee if I were to say, hey there's a football game Saturday at 3, meet me at the bar and we'll watch it - they'll be there.

• Members

Rock music attracts some of the most irresponsible citizens on the planet.

arent u the band leader? how could a band leader be the one to show up late?

As bossman, I try to lead by example believe it or not. its from my time in the military. i always hated showing respect to my bosses who were pieces of {censored}.

• Members

Now that the Duke has formed a band of merryman, the challenge arises for the Duke to coordinate everyone to show up to rehearsal at...get this...the same time.

One guy, who unfortunately is the least proficient musician, is always there and always a good sport.

The other guy has canceled an hour or two before rehearsal a couple times. This guy plays an instrument that is in short-supply and is necessary.

The other guy, he lost his car or something. I don't know. When he tries explains what happened I get a headache as he keeps talking in circles.

In a perfect world the Duke would start yelling and beating these guys into submission until they conform to my desires and wishes to schedule a once-weekly pre-determined rehearsal. However, this isn't a perfect world.

It has taken me months to assemble this band of cretins, and I practice nearly every day for an hour or two.

Now, these players say that music is so important for them, but yet why the hell is it so hard to make rehearsal? I can guarantee if I were to say, hey there's a football game Saturday at 3, meet me at the bar and we'll watch it - they'll be there.

Sucks huh? The first guy illustrates something I have always believed. I will take the dedicated mediocre nice guy over the talented diva douchebag every time.

Try getting to the root of the problem? Transportation , bad time/day of the week? If it's not too out of the way have yourself or committed mediocre guy arrange to pick up the slacker douchebags to get them to practice.

Failing that might be time to give some of these guys an ultimatum.

PS: What is this short-supply instrument?

• Members

Schedule practice on Tuesdays so there is no football on anywhere, and right after work hours, say 6:00pm so the jerks don't make it to happy hour and forget they have band practice.

Once none of this work any more, find better people.

Maybe you suck so bad that they don't take it seriously? Just asking...

Rod

• Members

Sounds normal to me, actually.

• Members

Rod

i, as a matter of fact, be awesome.

i be a nice boss. i ask everyone which songs the others want to cover before demanding my own awesome choices. i see what rehearsal time is best for everyone else before myself, and work around that. i rule as democratically as possible, but my patience is thin.

• Members

Schedule practice on Tuesdays so there is no football on anywhere, and right after work hours, say 6:00pm so the jerks don't make it to happy hour and forget they have band practice.

Once none of this work any more, find better people.

Rod

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Members

Waive a paying gig in their faces...they'll fall in line pretty quick!

i was thinking along these lines: incentives.

we need to rehearse more to get a gig, and the gigs pay about $50 split 4 ways, so gigs themselves aren't much of a financial compensation.

if i had money to hire hookers for the practice and buy an 8 ball or two i would to incentive the cretins. when ur bootstrapping tho, i figure there must be alternative incentives

• Members

Schedule practice on Tuesdays so there is no football on anywhere, and right after work hours, say 6:00pm

how could a football game be more important than rehearsal? I can't fathom this? There's 100 brand new games on weekly counting university games, and there's a little thing called TiVo as well if watching THAT particular game is so important. Compare to band rehearsal, which is a much much scarcer commodity.

• Members

Does your wife approve of your musical goals?

Lol, maybe it's more about who approves? There's all kinds of bands that play on stages that aren't famous, but I like the idea of not doing the music for money.

Music doesn't need to be about money anyways.

• Members

I know someone like that in my class... I feel your pain! D:

You would think anyone would be up for a good concert, but I guess depending on the situation I can see how impatient anyone could be.

Maybe it's just because you were set up in a small place? Like maybe your people were expecting more, and were probably getting lazy that day because they weren't too motivated to perform on a small stage or something?

Could explain why people weren't too motivated...

Maybe you just need a more upbeat song, something you guys can just go crazy with - be all spazzy! (But of course, while still sounding great!)

Lol, maybe it's more about who approves? There's all kinds of bands that play on stages that aren't famous, but I like the idea of not doing the music for money.

Music doesn't need to be about money anyways.

jeebus, trying to make sense of everything you say gives me a headache too sqweekie

Archived