Singing with High Pitch!

Squeakbox

• Members

I've finally found a natural zone to sing at an extremely high pitch frequency... Not to go professional with, but something that I just like to do:

(WARNING: Watch your volume... the sound will pierce through headphones, the pitch is too high to maintain the sound within headphones; headphones are not recommended)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7kBo6DwNzI

I can usually sing a full song, except when I'm recovering from the flu, or sick.

Also: no, I don't do this every day, so I'm not breaking my vocal chords. It's still a dangerous trick if performed with the wrong intention.

• Members

LoL, I guess I kind of worded it that way, if you interpreted that. XD

What I mean is that the pitch doesn't hurt my throat like it used to, since it took a year or so to figure out how not to burn my vocal chords doing it.

Now there's a second problem: tightening of the throat muscles. Sometimes yawning deep works, but stopping it for a day, or I usually stop for a week, works best with warm tea.

I think I went for a month without using it, and when I did it some more after, it was easier to do.

Edit: I usually stop for a week or two each time.

• Members

But why??

Is there ANY practical or theoretical purpose for accomplishing this spectacular feat of l33t vocal skillz???

Does it attract squirrels and other wild fauna as potential suitors?

Well, if I make a song out of it, I don't want it to annoy people either. I might make a song, but perfecting it first (if possible) is good practice. Which is one of my first reasons for starting this, but, when I think of it, I realize that if I do the wrong kind of song it will be annoying.

• Members

If this is seriously legit, how the hell are you doing that!

Oh, to answer your question: throat squeezing.

There's no other way to explain it, it can be extremely dangerous on the first few weeks doing it. I've been practicing for 2 years so far.

One of the big issues (and still an issue) is pressure: the blood rushes to my head easily if I do it the wrong way or hold it too long, and another issue is throat or vocal burn: it can really singe your throat, but the right method depends on how you get the feel of it (this doesn't happen once I get the right trick).

You could probably get an aneurysm if you really force it too hard, but there's a trick to it too, so I haven't ran into that risk yet (obviously).

Archived