Wow. Just... wow.

EightString

• Members

I'm sick & tired of people being all impressed because a cover artist can channel a famous singer. So f*ckin' what.

What made Freddy Mercury a cut above the rest was his ability to write great songs. Sure he was a great singer, but because some schlomo can copy mercury's style doesn't say sh1t.

• Members

My mistake, I thought this was a "singers'" forum, not a "player-haters'" forum.
:idea:

In fact, the subtitle of this forum reads "Trade ideas and techniques, find out how not to blow out voice, and learn how to be a better singer...this is the place!"

Jackin off to someone else's cover doesn't fit that definition.

• Members

In fact, the subtitle of this forum reads "Trade ideas and techniques, find out how not to blow out voice, and learn how to be a better singer...this is the place!"

Jackin off to someone else's cover doesn't fit that definition.

Is it good singers that really bother you? You seem to spend a lot of energy hating them. :confused:

Or is it the fact that he's singing "someone else's" song? I just don't get where you're coming from, except "anger". :idk:

• Members

Eight - you always post fabulous videos and this is another. His transitions/intervals are really smooth and the whole arrangement is spot on. He's - I should say they're all - great!

It IS smooth, isn't it? One thing that I noticed is that his facial structure resembles Freddie Mercury's quite a bit, which would make sense as he has a similar resonance to Freddie's.

I cover some Queen material live, and do a decent job of it, but I think because my own facial structure is nothing like Mercury's, I'll never get as close to his "sound" as this singer did.

• Members

He's a good singer, but he doesn't have that rip that Freddie had, and I'm currently thinking Freddie sang it like he meant it, as opposed to this talented singer.

I also dislike that they dropped the lower harmonies where there should have been some!

• Members

He's a good singer, but he doesn't have that
rip
that Freddie had, and I'm currently thinking Freddie sang it like he meant it, as opposed to this talented singer.

I also dislike that they dropped the lower harmonies where there should have been some!

I buy that to some extent. It does seem a little more "technical" of an interpretation... accurate, yet missing a certain aggression?

However, as a technical achievement... to get to the point where you can sound THAT close, you HAVE to have some serious chops in general. :thu:

• Members

He's a good singer, but he doesn't have that
rip
that Freddie had, and I'm currently thinking Freddie sang it like he meant it, as opposed to this talented singer.

Agreed but he's probably not as "seasoned" as Freddie was... hard to beat Freddie. :-)

Also I did think he looked a bit like Freddie but forgot that when posting before....

• Members

He sings in an originals band called "Downhere", and it's telling that in that context, he DOESN'T sound like he's imitating Mercury, or anyone else for that matter.

Oh, I can hear influences here and there, but if I hadn't heard the Bohemian Rhapsody clip, I might not have even picked out much Freddie in his voice.

Cool that he can turn it on and off at will.

• Members

It IS smooth, isn't it? One thing that I noticed is that his facial structure resembles Freddie Mercury's quite a bit, which would make sense as he has a similar resonance to Freddie's.

I cover some Queen material live, and do a decent job of it, but I think because my own facial structure is nothing like Mercury's, I'll never get as close to his "sound" as this singer did.

That's really interesting, the whole facial structure thing. I've wondered about that before, whether it makes a huge difference to being able to sound similar to another singer. If I look like say, the real Grace Slick, in terms of facial structure...would I be more likely to sound like her? I don't know. I was thinking the other day, there are SOOO many different types of voices...and even a teeny difference in the internal structures of the throat, mouth, nose, sinus cavity...just makes such huge differences to the voices of people.

• Members

Great voice and great interpretation, if I was just listening I would have loved it, with my eys open it was kind of boring since he sound like Freddy but lacks his presence, not knocking him in any way, just not very much into his performance that's all.

Funny that the first thing I noticed was his face and body structure being almost identical to Freddy, hence the tone in the voice, this guy can make a killing in a Queen Tribute band!

Anyone else notice all the music stands on stage? Must be a really unprofessional, crappy band :)

Rod

• Members

Is it good singers that really bother you? You seem to spend a lot of energy hating them.
:confused:

Or is it the fact that he's singing "someone else's" song? I just don't get where you're coming from, except "anger".
:idk:

Puke-o-Floof's anger stems from a shattered self image that attempts to

situate himself (imaginatively) as a hetero-competent singer...

...So, when ANY one of merit or talent that doesn't arouse his closeted homosexual self he blames the inability to maintain an erection on said singer or becomes irate and jealous when they fail to hold the mic in the correct splooge gurgling manner as he would have... :idea:

• Members

I wonder if in Duke's mind that a guitarist that can play songs by other people that are considered good (Hendrix, Van Halen, etc...) that they are bad guitarists because they are 'copying other styles' when in fact they are just covering the song.

Logic sucks eh?

• Members

Well, he's good. Who on earth could sound just like Freddie Mercury? I'll tell you who - nobody. But this guy comes close in a lot of spots. I listened to the other stuff where he's not trying to sound like Freddie and he doesn't.

Freddie Mercury was flat out amazing. It was fun to see this guy try it. He's good in his own right. If anyone is interested, I see that he'll be singing live on Ellen today. That's 4:00 where I am ... 20 mins from now ... I'll check it out ...

Archived