trying again with rolling in the deep

cjpbarboza

• Members

"All" at 1:00 is flat and there are pitch problems (in the chorus) from 1:00 to 1:10. The notes may be near the upper limit of your range. You might experiment with changing key. I think the song starts with Am, try Dm or Em, make some recordings. The high notes might be more manageable in another key.

• Members

Not trying to be a jackass or anything, but can you tell that you are out of tune? Can you tell that the guitar is out of tune as well?

I agree.....I think everybody wants to ask this question for most of these "can I sing" threads...but few really do...

• Members

Well...ok...to be honest, it IS better than the first one you did a few months back...and the verses, you're kind of in tune there...you sounded better once the piano came in, as someone else said. It seemed to guide you...

The chorus...not in tune at all, my friend. It's like you can't tell which key to get into...the ONE note you were in the right key for was that high falsetto note...and I'm not saying that note sounded GOOD, cause it didn't, but it WAS actually the right key / note for what you were trying to sing...

It is a hard song to sing...I'd try something else to train your ear better. Your voice has a nice tone. I think I said that the first time. So yeah, I'd try easier songs at first...this song is very ambitious. I wouldn't try it - too hard for me too. :)

• Members

I agree.....I think everybody wants to ask this question for most of these "can I sing" threads...but few really do...

I think a lot of younger musicians and people just learning how to sing are more wrapped up in vocal lessons, which is a good thing, but can also benefit from ear training so they can tell whether they are in tune or not.....

• Members

Good! I hope I wasn't too blunt or harsh. Didn't mean to be.

Yes, definitely try some simpler songs you enjoy listening to and singing...really listen to them original songs as they're playing at first, without singing yourself. Then try singing the first verse along with a backing track, and record yourself. Then play it back. Does it sound the same as the original artist singing? (in terms of the key / notes you're singing)...this sort of thing is invaluable in getting to know your voice and your ear...tuning the two together.

• Members

It could help with your pitch problems to put a t consonant before all words which start with an r.

So for example instead of rolling you should sing trolling.

It might sound strange but it helped me loads when I had pitch issues.

humm sound weird but im gonna try hahaha

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I think a lot of younger musicians and people just learning how to sing are more wrapped up in vocal lessons, which is a good thing, but can also benefit from ear training so they can tell whether they are in tune or not.....

How do you train your ear though? Play an instrument?

• Members

Why oh why oh why do people insist on attempting songs that are clearly wrong for their voice?

As a beginner, you should play to your strengths and stick inside your comfort zone until your ability and confidence increases.

Yeah but the only way to know a song is wrong for your voice is to try and sing it. I mean I still don't touch Marvin Gaye's songs even though I'm a huge fan of the What's Going On album. But other songs and artists aren't as easy to tell until you try.

• Members

Yeah but the only way to know a song is wrong for your voice is to try and sing it. I mean I still don't touch Marvin Gaye's songs even though I'm a huge fan of the What's Going On album. But other songs and artists aren't as easy to tell until you try.

Understood - But it's one thing to sing along to something at home to see if its in your range or not; quite another to record yourself, post it on the internet and solicit a critique. Start modestly :-) That's all I'm saying.

I could try and sing a Sammy Hagar song, but it's so far out of my league that to post a recording of myself attempting it and soliciting criticism is probably not going to yield very much in the way of usable advice. There is just too big a chasm between my ability and Sammy's.

In short, stretching too far (esp initially) can be self-defeating and not very helpful for you.

Archived