Has anybody been in a musical before?

theminpoes

• Members

HOW COOL!!! Congratulations, man!!

I never have been, considering I never sing in public, but my friends have been in a few. One of them was an actress and was in a few plays and some low budget music-based films. My best friend has auditioned for a few musicals and was in a lot of productions at school and university...

I'm not sure what tips you're after though...be professional...do your best...that's all you can do. If you managed to pass the auditions and get in, they obviously like what you have to offer so...just be yourself, do your best, and have fun!!

• Members

I've been in musicals, and the simplest most fundamental stuff is:

1) If you're not mic'ed, NEVER, EVER, turn away from the audience while you're singing.

2) If you're not mic'ed, sing at a reasonably loud volume, but be VERY careful to keep it within sustainable comfort levels. Too loud, and you'll blow out your voice and you won't even make it to the 3rd night of the run.

3) If you ARE mic'ed, watch out for audible "heavy" breathing.

4) If you haven't had a lot of performing experience, don't let a case of the nerves turn you into a vibrato monster. I've noticed that people doing musicals seem to be particularly susceptible to this problem. And I can ALWAYS tell the type of vibrato that's an involuntary nervous reaction. Just relax and have fun!

• Members

I've been in musicals, and the simplest most fundamental stuff is:

1) If you're not mic'ed, NEVER, EVER, turn away from the audience while you're singing.

2) If you're not mic'ed, sing at a reasonably loud volume, but be VERY careful to keep it within sustainable comfort levels. Too loud, and you'll blow out your voice and you won't even make it to the 3rd night of the run.

3) If you ARE mic'ed, watch out for audible "heavy" breathing.

4) If you haven't had a lot of performing experience, don't let a case of the nerves turn you into a vibrato monster. I've noticed that people doing musicals seem to be particularly susceptible to this problem. And I can ALWAYS tell the type of vibrato that's an involuntary nervous reaction. Just relax and have fun!

These are great tips! Thanks so much!

• Members

I was thinking that maybe it sounded forced or too severe... maybe I'm wrong
:p

Something like that, only paradoxically, it isn't on purpose. I've heard people with pleasant, controlled vibrato during rehearsal turn into total machine guns during an actual performance. :o

A case of the nerves seems to sometimes both accelerate AND deepen vibrato.

• Members

Aunty Acid just insinuated that trademarks are always of a favourable nature.

Son, I am disappoint.

EDIT: For the purpose of contributtining, I suggest you perform in front of friends and/or family as part of your rehearsals, so that you'll know exactly how your singing is affected by your nerves. Even if you can't avoid the adrenaline, you'd feel a lot better knowing exactly what your body will do when the time comes.

• Members

Ah, machine gun vibrato, yeah. But some people have this as part of their sort of trademark sound...Stevie Nicks, Grace Slick...yeah.

Yeah, but I can hear the difference when it's a case of nerves. There's a decidedly uncontrolled and unmusical quality to it. You'll know it when you hear it.

• Members

Yeah, but I can hear the difference when it's a case of nerves. There's a decidedly uncontrolled and unmusical quality to it. You'll know it when you hear it.

Yeah, I get what you mean, man. I find myself, when singing normally, the vibrato is fairly ok, but if I do notes that make me nervous, at the end of those notes, the vibrato speeds up and I don't mean for it too. It annoys me.

Maskino, I didn not mean to imply that any trademark stylistic type of singing is always good. :)

Archived