Does anyone know an exercise that helps with vocal agility?

LC0728

• Moderators

I practice staccato exercises and vocal trills to improve agility.

I work the trill by sliding up an octave and then trilling back and forth by a whole note. Then tighten the trill by speeding it up until you get a vibrato. It might not work for everyone, but you could give it a try.

• Members

When I was little I used to challenge myself by singing songs that used a lot of quickly-sung very precise notes, like the "bom bom boms" in Mr Sandman.

Nowadays songs that use staccato like Regina Spektor's Fidelity (in the chorus), they make you hit the note bang on and make your voice more agile...

• Members

When I was little I used to challenge myself by singing songs that used a lot of quickly-sung very precise notes, like the "bom bom boms" in Mr Sandman.

Yeah, I did stuff like this too. I'd practice those vocal runs in rnb songs with all those quick little notes.

• Members

Scales are linear, so I suggest focusing on arpeggios a little more. This will help you with more complex melodies and hitting notes dead on without "fishing" for them.

edit: the "bom bom boms" in Mr. Sandman, as Grace suggested, are a great practical example of this. Interestingly, this part is a kind of cool exercise because it makes you sing a maj7 arpeggio and a min7 arpeggio, one right after the other.

• Members

You don't like doing those anymore?
:D

Ah...no. Not at all. I am over hearing all these young girl singers over-singing songs that would be best left more simple and subtle.

I have a good range, and good vocal control, and I don't need to go overboard when singing just because I can.

• Members

Ah...no. Not at all. I am over hearing all these young girl singers over-singing songs that would be best left more simple and subtle.

I have a good range, and good vocal control, and I don't need to go overboard when singing just because I can.

Hey Grace,

The worst is when some R&B artist butchers the National Anthem with all that nonsense. I want to scream, "Just sing the damned song!!!" :facepalm:

But, if you listen to "Stardust" (Nat "King" Cole's is my favorite version), you'll hear a great example of a song that isn't some annoying R&B vocal exercise, yet requires dead-on execution of lots of wide interval jumps and arpeggios in the melody.

• Members

Oh YEAH, I know...the anthem is butchered so often these days. I actually really like the American anthem, but...c'mon people! Just SING the SONG! :mad: lol

To do vocal runs nicely, you need some balance...some sort of subtle tones in your voice..jazzy riffs are nice...shouted-young girl voices doing 50 billion notes is NOT. lol :facepalm:

• Members

Very good excercise tool for legato runs, agility, pitch, phrasing and much more is a PS3, XBox or anything that runs one of the Singstar, Rockband or Guitar hero games. I used to play with these for fun and discovered a big improvement on my voice. So I started a experiment, mostly because of the challenge: There was a online website where you could register score, and I decided to have the best score on every song on every Singstar disc in every difficulty. At least I was #1 for long time summed up, and I registered that I began to hear professional singers and the top idol singing slightly off pitch. So I took a ear pitch test which was top notch. Today I'm way back at this level: Use it or loose it.

If you don't believe me, do this test: Play with the game Singstar until you reach over 90% on difficulty hard. Guitar Hero and Rockband needs about 100% on expert, cause they are easier.

• Members

I sometimes wonder if people have more issues with hitting the right notes bang on these days cause all they hear is pop music...where most singers (even good ones who CAN hit the notes perfectly) slide up and down to notes, just cause it sounds better in that type of music and tends to always be done by almost everyone.

When I was younger I used to listen to some of the more classical-ish and musical songs like Phantom, Les Mis, etc, and I notice the singers in these things don't slide as much...and in choirs and stuff, the singers tend to hit right on the notes, no sliding up or down to reach them for pop stylistic effect.

So even though I myself tend to slide because I like how it sounds and it suits the way I sing and do music and the songs I like to listen to, I CAN hit notes right on without sliding and do so when singing those more classical-based songs.

So anyone who wants to get more used to hitting notes straight, and not sliding to make it easier (which may in fact make it harder if they are never used to going straight to the note), should sing along with those choir / classical songs and get used to listening to songs sung in that more "proper" way. Maybe. *shrug*

Edit - Oh, and I had that Lonely Goat Herd song in my head before, from The Sound of Music. Try singing that song. It makes you be pretty vocally agile. lol

• Members

I think it's just really fresh in my mind right now cause X Factor is on every night here, and so many people sing a whole song in constant vocal runs! You can't even tell what the song IS anymore!!

lol, yeah, that's true. :p That is way overdoing it imo too.

Archived