Singing The Melody And Not Moving Around

YeahDoIt

• Members

I recorded myself singing "Runaway" by Del Shannon. Listening to the recording I hear the pitch is off in places, some syllables are not right and volume is not steady. The volume problem I associate with lack of air support. Standing still avoids most of the volume instability problem. If I move my arms then my volume and pitch change a little. I solved the pitch problem for the most part by singing the ah sound - just the melody of the song - about four times. I had to learn the melody better. Then when I recorded me singing with lyrics the melody was correct (well maybe not correct but it's better).

That's what I am pointing out - to learn the melody better, try singing without lyrics.

I do not hear these flaws when I sing using a microphone and PA system. I hear these flaws on recordings using my computer speakers or, especially, headphones. I thought I was doing OK because the sound from the PA was good.

• Members

In the "Singer's Handbook" from Berklee, they list the following steps to learn a song:

1)Learn the rhythm. Use a metronome. If you want clap and/or say "tah" (or any sound you feel like).

2)After learning the rhythm, play the melody on your instrument.

3)Rhythm and Melody without lyrics. Pick any vowel sound. Work on phrasing and breathing for difficult passages.

4)Add accompaniment or basic chord changes.

5)Study the lyrics. Find meaning in the lyrics. Think of yourself as an actor interpreting dramatic text for your future audience.

6)Listen to recordings (including versions by other artists). Try to make sense of how they interpret the song.

Archived