Do you like your own voice?

boycalledtrash

• Members

Hi! I'm new here and I've read the post about being new and not posting own stuff right away so I apologise. I am not a native speaker and so I dont tend to write posts so much. Please comment on my file and I will be very grateful! Thank you!

I'm about to post Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead sung by myself. And here's a thought that goes with it (and this might be of particular interest to some of you). The thing is I don't like my voice very much and I believe a lot of people don't like their own voice. Also I am a huge Radiohead and Thom Yorke fan and I even heard himself saying he didn't like his own voice (well at least during post-OKC era). What do you think of it? Do you think a lot of people find their own voice poor (well maybe that's not the right word... I'm thinking rather of a person who doesn't like his own voice because it sounds awkward to him.) when actually it is pretty good?

So my own question is what do you think about my voice. Feel free to be honest and say whatever you think is just true. I don't have any professional training and I would just like to know if it's worth it to sing on. Thanks again!

P.S. I used Audix OM-11 microphone and M-Audio Fast Track and Audacity.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/V4XsEaB8/fake_plastic_trees.html

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, there isn't. And that's why I apologised. I also said I don't tend to post that much because English is not my primary language. The reason why I posted anyway is because I think the question is interesting and the discussion might be interesting. Do you think it isn't?

Also, I believe it is just a recommendation not a rule so I thought that as long as I bring something constructive too.. you know

• Members

I actually gave this a listen because I dig this tune. Honest opinion, your flat a lot and the falsetto parts are pretty painful...especially on the second verse. Nice effort though, not a trainwreck, but needs a lot of improvement..

This plus where are you from?

Rod

• Members

OK...I love my voice! There I said it...! I have great range and am yet to turn down a tune unless it's newer rap and hardcore trash metal, just not my kind of singing...now I have been singing since I was 16 and am now 39, closer to 40 so I went through the I hate my voice phase as well...you will get over it once you learn to use yours as much as possible.

Rod

• Members

I sing all the time. I always hate my voice, it's kind've a training method I use to make it better, if I hate how un-agile it is, I'll do my agility exercises a few more times every day.

Right now I'm at the point where I hate my own tone, so, I'm doing tonal exercises and trying to get rid of any nasality I can which is hard for someone with sinuses like me.

In general, no, I like how far I've progressed with my voice. Just Don't give up, get Inspired.

• Members

It's been troubling for me: I've always loved to sing but hated my voice. :( So much so that it would make me cringe. But realizing that a lot of fantastic and famous singers felt the same way, I decided a few years ago to try to desensitize myself. After recording and listening back to myself constantly over a few years (and suffering immensely) I've finally come to a place where I don't mind my voice at all. Sometimes I even like it. ;)

By the way, I tried to listen to the track offered by the OP, but the volume is so low on the recording that I had to turn my computer volume up ALL THE WAY to hear anything. And even then, I couldn't hear well enough to offer any constructive criticism. Too bad, I love Radiohead, especially that song.

• Members

I have a love hate thing going on with my voice. It is better than most for sure, but the same time not very versatile. Some days it is much better than others as well. I have a fairly limited range and not a lot of control over it, but that's what comping tracks together is for. When it all comes together with the right song in the right key and I'm having a good day it doesn't sound bad at all though. It's usually what I get the most comments on from people that hear my music, which doesn't say much for my songwriting...

• Members

It's been troubling for me: I've always loved to sing but hated my voice.
:(
So much so that it would make me cringe. But realizing that a lot of fantastic and famous singers felt the same way, I decided a few years ago to try to desensitize myself. After recording and listening back to myself constantly over a few years (and suffering immensely) I've finally come to a place where I don't mind my voice at all. Sometimes I even like it.
;)

Aw Jersey...you're a little like me. I used to HATE my voice. Just DETESTED it with a passion. And I too would cringe when hearing myself back. I actually LOVED my voice in my own head, but played back in a recording? NOOOOOO! *vomit* That's why I never let anyone hear it, and why I STILL have self confidence hang-ups about it even though I KNOW it's fairly good. And I don't hate listening to it anymore.

• Members

This is an interesting question.

I can hear recordings of myself where I know I've nailed it, but all I'm hearing are the technical things that I've achieved, or the dynamic variations, or the power-notes. It's not my actual voice I think is good at all.

I find it really hard to tell if I have a good voice or not. I know and can hear that I can sing in tune, I know I have more control over my voice than a lot of people, but thats purely down to practice. The actual sound it makes, I don't really think has any appeal.

It's more the way I manipulate my voice that I think I've got quite good at, I definitely don't really like the actual voice at all.

Archived