Recording Youtube Videos

chamcham

• Members

Does anyone have any advice for recording Youtube videos of cover songs (or original songs) while sitting in your room?

I'm still a beginner in terms of singing, but eventually I'd like to make some Youtube videos.

I don't have enough money to spend on professional recording equipment.

But here's what I have collected over the years:

Electrovoice N/D767a mic

Logitech USB mic

M-Audio Ozonic

M-Audio Keystation 88es

Macbook Pro

K&M 210/9 Mic Stand

Sony MDR-7506 headphones

Behringer BCR2000 (usb controller with 32 knobs)

iPad

Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 (records 720p)

I'd like to be able to sing into a mic and the sound going into the mic would

be what's playing in the video. In addition, the video recording would also include a backing track playing on my Macbook.

I guess there's not much I can do about background noise, since my room isn't soundproof.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Again, just looking to make use of what I have.

Don't want to buy much more.

• Members

It depends on what kind of quality you're comfortable with. If you're talking about a webcam, the recording quality won't be good enough for you to even worry about room treatments. A USB mic will be a little better, yes, but Logitech is not known for it's audio fidelity.

Two options:

1. Use an external camcorder mic to record your performance through a PA system (or acoustic amplifier)--add reverb/delay/compression, etc. to taste externally through the PA, and if you're happy with the audio, you're done. There's also the Zoom Q3, a neat little hand-held recorder, which is just okay on video quality but very good on audio.

2. Use a decent condenser mic to record an audio track separate from the video; you can then edit the track in a DAW like Garageband or Cubase or Reaper or whatever, adding reverb, etc., in the mix. You'll then need to synch up the audio and video files. Of course, if you're recording with an acoustic guitar accompaniment, you won't be able to isolate the vocal track, as all of your sweetening will also go to the guitar. This shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it's worth remembering.

I hope this helps.

I myself am very concerned about quality, which is why I have no videos up on youtube. :facepalm:

Archived