High notes and range

the fretter

• Members

I'm not much of a singer, but I do sing a lot while playing guitar as it makes it far more fun and makes playing songs more interesting than just playing. Problem is I like a lot of bands with singers that can get super high (Led Zeppelin, Rush, Metallica...). My range is about A2-C5, but I can almost never hit a C5 and tend to only be able to get A2 in the morning. For what I can pretty much always hit, I'd say B2-A4. I'm 14 and my voice is changing like mad though (start of last year I could only do F3, start of this year I could only do D3). So as it is not a very impressive range, I'm wondering how much higher I can go, and how to do so. When I do B4 it's usually a kind of straining scream that is probably quite a few hertz of the actual note. Now sometimes this scream can be useful-I wouldn't want to sing a high B in Whole Lotta Love softly, you want the strain to kind of give it grit and emotion. But the strain also adds an amateurish, awkwardness to the note. Plus B4 is really not that high, James Hetfield can get past that and he goes lower than the guitar. Since my falsetto can go up to C6, perhaps further, I'm not sure if I'm realising my potential.

So how do I get the high notes, and once I get them, how do I make them soft and melodic, rather than out of pitch screams? Also, with my range, should I expect to be able to go higher or am I pretty much at my limit?

• Members

Practice, practice, practice. Find a voice coach and get a good foundation going. FYI, your higher notes shouldn't feel strained, they're actually quite the opposite...easier. The "strained" sound is an effect and healthier ways of going about it. My guess is your pulling your chest too high...hence the strained notes. Plus your young...which is an advantage. If you're serious, find a good coach now while your young. You can sing as high as you want, as long as you put the time and effort into practice.

• Members

Don't listen to DukeofBoom. Focusing on breath support won't help you the least bit.

You can increase your range a little bit by practising. Like staticsound said you have the advantage of being young, so getting a vocal coach now will root deep into your head.

• Members

Don't listen to DukeofBoom. Focusing on breath support won't help you the least bit.

You can increase your range a little bit by practising. Like staticsound said you have the advantage of being young, so getting a vocal coach now will root deep into your head.

hahaha you're SO wrong

• Members

Hetfield pulls chestvoice, and for those high notes you need support. but if you want to go higher than Hetfield and into mix and head with power you certainly need support. lOt's of support, but another kind: You need the power push: Constipate, like when taking a crap! (Make sure you don't crap if you're on a gig.... )

You can also learn to go intop mix/head without support, it's called Speach Level Singing, and lack's the power and full tone that is needed for heavier style vocals, but OK for pop, easy rock, gospel, country etc... This kind will have a "thinner" sound on higher notes.

And, Oh: Don't listen to Masklin: You can increas your range a lot with practice, not just a bit. :)

• Members

Hetfield pulls a LOT of chest! The power push method would help with that. The way Bajazz described it, is pretty spot on. The taking a dump technique, lol. If that's the kind of style you're wanting, I'd suggest googling Jamie Vendera. I wouldn't try this without proper instruction...don't wanna eff up your voice this early in the game!

• Members

IME, the most important way to make sure you don't blow out your voice is:

1. Make sure that you don't tighten anything but your stomach. Jaw relaxed (but open) Throat and neck relaxed

2. Placing the tone forward, and under no circumstance in your throat!

3. Don't sing loud by pushing air or forcing, but by working with resonance

And yes, I know that these descriptions are difficult to grasp. That's were a coach, book, DVD and other instruction can help. Seek out Vendera!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

About vocal instructors: Be ware!

Some of them have the wrong idea that range is set in stone and can't be developed. Both I took lessons of had this idea, and I fear it's a common misconception. They might develop other things like tone, placement etc, but don't set for the range you are "born with" unless you feel fine about it.

Once I had this idea myself, and struggled doing Bon Jovi and Johnny Cash in original keys. I made peace with my range and transposed. But it's hard playing the guitar intro to "dead or alive" in Hm or play "Folsom prison" in G or A being a solo acoustic act. When I bought my own house, I was able to sing as much and loud as I wanted, and I discovered that the hours was my friend. After months practicing for many hours a day, I suddenly one day nailed very high notes. No straining, they just flew out easy. Soon I was able to sing any song sung by male and many female songs. It was like a magic key opened up a new world, and very funny to be able to sing higher than most girls and do "I walk the line" the song after. Of course unlocking this aspect made me aware of a lot of other things to work on.... :)

• Members

sirens from lowest note to highest without straining is also nice. Falsetto sirens. Also try to sing a lot in falsetto, it's a good way to find mix and sing easy in headvoice. Whenever my mix is sloppy, I take a few days singing along to songs in falsetto, brings me back!

• Members

sirens from lowest note to highest without straining is also nice. Falsetto sirens. Also try to sing a lot in falsetto, it's a good way to find mix and sing easy in headvoice. Whenever my mix is sloppy, I take a few days singing along to songs in falsetto, brings me back!

+1

Archived