Latest cover song..

m26uk

• Members

This is really good. I think pretty much spot-on. Kudos on getting the small details right. Do you make your own songs? I find it kinda funny that you don't have more YouTube views. I wonder if people think it's fake, like too good to be true? Maybe you should do something with the videos to get more attention? Or just focus on your own music? I mean you're ready. If I could sing as well you do I wouldn't sing any covers (except for fun).

• Members

This is really good. I think pretty much spot-on. Kudos on getting the small details right. Do you make your own songs? I find it kinda funny that you don't have more YouTube views. I wonder if people think it's fake, like too good to be true? Maybe you should do something with the videos to get more attention? Or just focus on your own music? I mean you're ready. If I could sing as well you do I wouldn't sing any covers (except for fun).

thanks man, don't think people think its fake..not sure maybe some do.. I guess some may think that but I don't know I mean I'm no mj. when you say maybe I should do something with the videos to get more attention what do you have in mind out of interest? I would like to do original stuff its just getting the right way to go about it. thanks again. :thu:

• Members

just what the world needs, another Michael Jackson cover artist. Planet Earth needs that about as much as we need Sarah Palin for president.

I don't watch a lot of YouTube singers but I guess there would be plenty of them out there. In any case I was impressed by this guy and feel he deserves more views.

@OP no can't really think of anything but I mean you need to figure out why people should watch your videos. But to be honest I say focus on your original work. Why waste time? MJ covers are great and all but it's been done. Move ahead and make your mark as a muscian and vocalist and not as a cover artist.

• Members

just what the world needs, another Michael Jackson cover artist. Planet Earth needs that about as much as we need Sarah Palin for president.

Duke's right about this. The stream of videos sent by m26uk are always top-notch, but after viewing one or two there's not much to say about them. Perhaps there's a career in this if you can get yourself to Vegas. Otherwise, either diversify your choice of songs (no, Bruno Mars doesn't count!) or indeed go original. You have a great voice and there are plenty of songwriters out there. Perhaps you should reach out to the Songwriting forum? :idea: Or just ask Grace for some material?

• Members

Negative. Too many Michael Jacksons already, we don't need another one!

I almost agree but it's not like he goes out of his way to "sound" like M.J. It's in his tone and it's not forced...

I mean {censored} I can sing like M.J. via an impression but I prefer to be the first John Benussi than the millionth M.J. sounding vocalist...but

damn, I mean it's like a double edged sword. I like this track and the way the OP did it. :)

• Members

A mixture of opinions here! thanks for all the feedback though guys.. I do appreciate it.

original material is something I would like to do.. its just getting the right mixture of things.. its something I will look into for sure.

I'm pretty good with lyrics..so we'll see.

• Members

I almost agree but it's not like he goes out of his way to "sound" like M.J. It's in his tone and it's not forced...

I mean {censored} I can sing like M.J. via an impression but I prefer to be the first John Benussi than the millionth M.J. sounding vocalist...but

damn, I mean it's like a double edged sword. I like this track and the way the OP did it.
:)

Interesting, but I remember when I first heard your Peter Gabrielish voice--my first impression (other than appreciation of your talent) was that you need to diversity your material. Exactly the case here: If you sound too much like a popular performer, you risk being pegged as a tribute act if you focus too much on similar material. But you have to follow your passions, that's the most important thing. :idk:

• Members

if you are tribute than do it 100% sell the soul, bite the bullet and be happy! plenty of great tribute bands out there! but you have a good voice and I think you could do more than just sounding like MJ, covering his material only gets boring, if I want MJ, I can hear MJ, if you want me to watch your youtubes, do something new or original.

Rod

• Members

Interesting, but I remember when I first heard your Peter Gabrielish voice--my first impression (other than appreciation of your talent) was that you need to diversity your material. Exactly the case here: If you sound too much like a popular performer, you risk being pegged as a tribute act if you focus too much on similar material. But you have to follow your passions, that's the most important thing.
:idk:

I completely agree with what you just posted! 100%

However I'd like to add to that...

When he sings M.J. songs: it's sorta like cheating because he knows M.J's mannerisms, phrasings and hiccups to the point where it does sound like imitation.

I'd wager that if the OP started to sing his own material, we'd find out for certain whether or not he sings his own songs: according to his own voice rather than M.J.s'

but of course that's the test. Doing your own stuff and singing it in your own way.

As it pertains to me: I'm not a huge fan of bucket loads of artists.

I only have a handful and among them (Rob Zombie is one...but) it wouldn't be prudent to sing his material in my voice because it doesn't match the genre/style.

My passion is singing anything that strikes an emotional chord with me no matter the style.

It both kills me and amazes me that the OP sounds so much like M.J!

But...I feel the it would do the OP some much needed good to write his own material OR sing songs that do NOT

contain M.J's style that he almost seemingly infringes on (although it may be unintentional)

But even I can't deny that the OP's tone is very very similar to that of M.J.s'!

• Members

if you are tribute than do it 100% sell the soul, bite the bullet and be happy! plenty of great tribute bands out there! but you have a good voice and I think you could do more than just sounding like MJ, covering his material only gets boring, if I want MJ, I can hear MJ, if you want me to watch your youtubes, do something new or original.

Rod

This is so true on every level, seriously!

I hope the Op can produce his own material but that may be a limitation of not having instruments or not being able to play them.

• Members

I completely agree with what you just posted! 100%

However I'd like to add to that...

When he sings M.J. songs: it's sorta like cheating because he knows M.J's mannerisms, phrasings and hiccups to the point where it does sound like imitation.

I'd wager that if the OP started to sing his own material, we'd find out for certain whether or not he sings his own songs: according to his own voice rather than M.J.s'

but of course that's the test. Doing your own stuff and singing it in your own way.

As it pertains to me: I'm not a huge fan of bucket loads of artists.

I only have a handful and among them (Rob Zombie is one...but) it wouldn't be prudent to sing his material in my voice because it doesn't match the genre/style.

My passion is singing anything that strikes an emotional chord with me no matter the style.

It both kills me and amazes me that the OP sounds so much like M.J!

But...I feel the it would do the OP some much needed good to write his own material OR sing songs that do NOT

contain M.J's style that he almost seemingly infringes on (although it may be unintentional)

But even I can't deny that the OP's tone is very very similar to that of M.J.s'!

I would like to do original material for sure, but I also do enjoy doing covers, my voice is very similer to Mj's which does'nt really bother me tbh, as its not exactly the same. and the fact that some people think it is simliar to me is a great compliment. I hope I can get to do some original stuff... its obvious mj is really ispired me, and I do replicate him. but I also have some of my own twists to my voice if you really compare. I don't copy note for note either.

you've given me something to think about though, and thanks for giving me feedback to. hopefully I can bring some of my own material to the table in the not so distant future!

• Members

I would like to do original material for sure, but I also do enjoy doing covers, my voice is very similer to Mj's which does'nt really bother me tbh, as its not exactly the same. and the fact that some people think it is simliar to me is a great compliment. I hope I can get to do some original stuff... its obvious mj is really ispired me, and I do replicate him. but I also have some of my own twists to my voice if you really compare. I don't copy note for note either.

you've given me something to think about though, and thanks for giving me feedback to. hopefully I can bring some of my own material to the table in the not so distant future!

How long have you been singing for?

• Members

There's nothing wrong doing covers....*but* you will encounter people (like myself)

that want you to dig deeper within yourself and send you a concise message that you've mastered Michael Jackson's singing..and many will feel that it's time

to sing your own material, seriously. There is nothing (from a fan's standpoint) for you to do/prove when singing M.J covers -in my opinion-

I've not heard the original so I can't say for certain but it appears

that you do copy his voice (note the word appears) and other words I used

like "seemingly" because I'm not attacking you nor calling you a liar....but

the similarities are just too close for comfort. (not a negative)

I can do an impression of M.J but not as good as you, which is to say I have to force my voice to sound like him...whereas you naturally share the same tonality as M.J.s'

Usually people that "sound" similar don't get much flack because the differences

are just so apparent...but in your case there really aren't any!!! That's saying a lot!

Your growl sounds like his too.

Anyway you should never take it personal when anyone says you

are copying a singer's bread and butter...but instead have the foresight to understand

that until you really start singing your own material it's an apples to oranges comparison with respect to your voice sounding like * or sounding like *you* -because

of the likeness you share with *

Archived