What set-up to use.

• Members

I used to sing back in high school, but all the gear was already set up as it belonged to a friend. Now I'm dropping guitar and getting back into singing, but I'm a little lost on what all gear I need. I know a mic, XLR cable, and mic stand are in order, but what about amplification? Should I run it directly into an amp or what?

• Members

In order to give you a straight up answer and to not possibly steer you wrong, I consulted a friend and asked him your questions. His first answer was: Reply hazy, try again. I tried a few minutes later and he came back with: Signs point to yes.

So there you have it.

• Members

OKay, good to know you've got a serious question there. An electric amplifier is always a bad choice for vocals, as it is designed to alter the sound of the guitar (in a positive way, usually, hopefully...). But if you want to avoid purchasing a full PA system, an acoustic guitar amp can be a great alternative. Acoustic guitar amps are in effect small PAs, as they are designed NOT to alter the sound of the guitar. Usually they have a second channel set up with an XLR input for a microphone and reverb/delay as well. I have both the Fishman SoloAmp and the Roland AC60, and both would be fine (and lighter) alternatives to a regular PA system.

That said, both Yamaha and Fender sell easily portable PA systems that are cheaper than these acoustic amps.

• Members

An electric amplifier is always a bad choice for vocals, as it is designed to alter the sound of the guitar (in a positive way, usually, hopefully...). But if you want to avoid purchasing a full PA system, an acoustic guitar amp can be a great alternative. Acoustic guitar amps are in effect small PAs, as they are designed NOT to alter the sound of the guitar.

Ah HAH! Thank you Jersey! I hadn't even thought of this, but whenever my partner and I discuss (daydream) about playing live, and we bring up the need for an amp for the mic for me (she's already got an electric amp for her guitars), I think we always assumed it'd be an electric one. Now I can tell her NO! It must be ACOUSTIC!!

• Members

what type of music are you trying to get into?? That would be imperative in figuring out what kind of gear you need. singer songwriters would certainly prosper from getting a decent acoustic amp but for rock band stuff it simply won't have enough juice to cut through the mix, unless you get a pretty powerful one in which case you might as well go the craigslist way and get a decent mixer amp and a couple monitors. Dropping the guitar? does that mean you intend to play with others now or at some point in the near future, and will they be amplified as well? So many unanswered questions here. If you go the PA rout don't go too crazy because many gigs/ venues provide a house PA. though not always. Sp you see it's all about your future intentions and immediate cash flow.

• Members

Um...well....a mic typically runs into a PA system. This is pretty basic stuff, however, so I'm half wondering whether I'm talking to a troll.

But then why would a troll ask an unprovocative question like this...?
:idk:

Could you be more condescending? I know your the head honcho here, but PA's and gear for vocals isn't basic for some one just starting out. Even Gracie thought plugging into a electric guitar amp would be just fine, and she's all over the place here. Eventually you gave a great answer but not after basically making fun of the poster. Sheesh!

• Members

Could you be more condescending? I know your the head honcho here, but PA's and gear for vocals isn't basic for some one just starting out. Even Gracie thought plugging into a electric guitar amp would be just fine, and she's all over the place here. Eventually you gave a great answer but not after basically making fun of the poster. Sheesh!

Thankfully the OP has a thicker skin than you.

• Members

Perhaps, but the original post struck me (and urca, I believe, as well) as overly simplistic and possibly trollish. Compare something like this: "Hey guys, I'm sitting in this car and I started the engine--how do I make it move?" Anyone who knows enough to get a key, put it into the ignition, and start the car would probably know enough to put the car into drive, right? Well, I thought that anyone who knows what an XLR cable is ought reasonably to know where to put it.

In any case, you're right that the OP wasn't trolling and I acknowledged this in my follow-up post.

Oh, and my condescension is deep and rich and carefully cultivated over many years--it has nothing to do with my glorious honcho-ness in the vocal forum! :rolleyes:

• Members

Perhaps, but the original post struck me (and urca, I believe, as well) as overly simplistic and possibly trollish. Compare something like this: "Hey guys, I'm sitting in this car and I started the engine--how do I make it move?" Anyone who knows enough to get a key, put it into the ignition, and start the car would probably know enough to put the car into drive, right? Well, I thought that anyone who knows what an XLR cable is ought reasonably to know where to put it.

In any case, you're right that the OP wasn't trolling and I acknowledged this in my follow-up post.

Oh, and my condescension is deep and rich and carefully cultivated over many years--it has nothing to do with my glorious honcho-ness in the vocal forum!
:rolleyes:

Now the post IS provocative. I think it would be more closely related to someone saying " hey guys I want to drive this car but I've never driven stick shift. What do I do?? Not all cars are get in and go. Same as music equipment. Either way Perhaps the wasn't my mediocre battle to have started, but in a big way I think many people that seek out this forum are coming from a don't know jack s**t point of view. So... my apologies if I seem abrasive.

• Members

I used to sing back in high school, but all the gear was already set up as it belonged to a friend. Now I'm dropping guitar and getting back into singing, but I'm a little lost on what all gear I need. I know a mic, XLR cable, and mic stand are in order, but what about amplification? Should I run it directly into an amp or what?

(1) First you need to find out what you want to do?

-just sing? Or

-sing and record

If it's just to sing. Then all you need is a cheap phantom powered mixer with XLR in

and (L and ® audio out/headphone jack with a mic connected to a cable: done.

(2) Next you need to ask yourself what kind of mic?

-Dynamic? Or

-Condenser

A Dynamic is best when hooking your mic up to a mixer for a live performance.

A Condenser has a higher sensitivity which is best when recording.

(3) Are you recording?

If yes you will need:

-A computer that is optimized for audio recording

-An audio interface (not your mic in jack)

-Decent headphones or monitors for mixing

It is best to use a condenser because not all audio interfaces

have the required gain that many dynamic mics need. YMMV.

The best you can do for yourself is to research and educate yourself.

Search the internet and google is your friend.:thu:

• Members

The forums are full of trolls. I didn't see it as condescending at all.

• Members

BUDGET!

What is your Budget? That will give us an idea. And please don't say,"as cheaply as possible" Give me a number to work with.

And you will always do better if you have cash so that you can buy used.

Now, my advice based on what some friends have in the economy sound gear department:

Power Amp: Peavey IPR1600 (840 Watts per channel @ 4 ohms. Weighs 7 Lbs.) ($300 at Musicians Friend)

Mackie Pro12FX (6 Mic channels with effects built in.) ($280 at Musician's Friend)

Microphone - my own choice would be a Sennheiser, E835($100 at M.F.) but that is because I love them.

Buy your Cables from AUDIOPYLE (see my signature - they are the best deal around and the owner, Mark Heller, is a Soundman and is an HC member. They have THE BEST speaker cables I have seen for cheap.)

For speakers. I would start out with a pair of Wedges, Either Peavey or Yamaha. Carvin's will work, but I personally would suggest the Yamaha over them. Stay away from Nady or Behringer speakers. They are garbage aimed at kids in my book.

The above rig will get your practicing, just run the system as a PA system - wire the main output to the amp, and use that.

You can add a graphic EQ and a pair of PA cabinets and have a full PA system just with that one amp, bu if you need Subs, you will need anther amp. (I'd suggest another Peavey - the fact that the amp weighs 7lbs means a lot. Don;t be afraid of Peavey - a lot of Pro's use Crest amplifiers. Care to guess who owns Crest? PEAVEY - because Peavey is essentially the largest music manufacturer in the world, and thy didn't get that way making junk. What hurt Peavey is that people would buy a Peavey PA, when they really needed twice as much gear as they bought. Then they complained about the equipment, rather than the fact that neither they, nor the salesperson who sold it to them, knew how to pick out gear.

So, don't be afraid to buy their gear. I didn't mention a Peavey mixer because I don't know anyone who actually owns one, so I have no experience with them. One of our members, "Soundman" works for Peavey. you may want to ask him what he would suggest.

• Members

the simplest way, which is what I do is

mic -> active speaker

mic = $150 for shure beta 58a

wharefdale active = $400

I use a wharfedale titan 12a

sounds great. titans are supposed to be great for vox

i got wharfedale from soundprofessionals.com and they price match and provide great service, because i'm a tough customer and they were always responsive with issues i had with them.

Archived