Physical exercise

honeyiscool

• Members

I've been trying to take more voice seriously, and I was just thinking that I'm always short on breath and often just not feeling very up to par and such. Do you think getting half an hour a few times a week on an elliptical is something that can complement vocal training?

Do you do any physical exercise? And if so, which ones do you do?

• Moderators

I tend to exercise a few times a week. Physical exercise will definitely improve your voice, but it can't be a replacement for good voice training. You need to have both vocal training and physical conditioning. Singers ARE athletes!

Cardio exercise may help with lung capacity and core strength exercises will help strengthen your voice.

• Members

Well, that's what I figured. I think I've neglected breathing properly so much in my life that I need to start doing almost unconsciously if I want hope to sound better. Sometimes I get lightheaded from held notes, which makes me feel like a chump.

I don't intend for them to replace vocal exercises, but I do think I need to start maintaining my body better if I hope to use it as an instrument.

• Moderators

I just had a listen to your "fluffy song". I think working out would definitely help. Your singing seems to be lacking breath support. Just do elliptical or jog, etc regularly and throw in some sit-ups, ab workouts and it might improve. But also have to make sure your vocal technique is proper as well. If you don't already have a voice teacher, then it would be helpful to get a few lessons.

• Members

Working on cardio does help alot. Another thing that you might try would be to pick a few songs within your register and trying to hum them while you walk/run, and once you get comfortable with that, try using the basic "NNNN" resoncance warm up while running with your songs. Just remember that your breathe is the vehicle for your voice. If you can't breathe, you can't sing :)

• Members

Yeah, NOT having the distraction of needing to breathe more often cause you’re out of breath when singing is good. It’ll always help. Not only in being able to project and control your voice more, but in confidence as well, to know you don’t need to be focusing on breathing as much.

• Moderators

i'm a workout fiend and it hasn't improved my singing one {censored}ing bit.

working on your singing improves your singing. working on your six-pack does not.

Duke, are you like really ripped or something?

Being fit will help with endurance. But having a bodybuilder physique is actually detrimental to singing.

• Members

I suspect Duke used this opportunity to play stupid so he could brag about his biceps.

Obviously, the main part of exercise that carries over to singing is breathing, and to some extent, core muscles. A six pack from doing crunches f.x, won't do you any good, since it's a relatively isolated motion.

• Members

working on your singing improves your singing. working on your six-pack does not.

I have similar experience. I once was in terrible shape and spent all time on singing. Later in life I found out I'd stop smoking, working out and live healthy. I had a period where I did a lot of running and was in excellent shape. Not good, not very good, but excellent. Later I started lifting weights and worked on strength for a few years. These days I work out every day with weights and cardio (mostly running and swimming)

Bottom line: I can find NO relationship with physical health and singing. Other than physical health = better mind focus etc...

To be a good singer you must sing a lot! To be a good athlete you must work out. It's that simple. There are many other good reasons for working out though...

But having a bodybuilder physique is actually detrimental to singing.

Also a myth, just like fat people are good singer cause of size.

• Members

I suspect Duke used this opportunity to play stupid so he could brag about his biceps.

Obviously, the main part of exercise that carries over to singing is breathing, and to some extent, core muscles. A six pack from doing crunches f.x, won't do you any good, since it's a relatively isolated motion.

To improve breathing, work on breathing excercises. I remember a summer where I ran everyday in the mountains, and expected singing to be better, but didn't do a squat! Then I found a breathing excercise in a book which I practice few minutes daily and soon I could sing "Ain't no Sunshine" with no problem. That is more than doubling my vocal sustain in a week.

Say it again: Sing to be a good singer!

• Members

Say it again: Sing to be a good singer!

If anyone is here is a hardcore promoter of exercise to improve your health and wellbeing, it's me. Resistance, isometric, and cardio all help to improve both your mental and physical health. I'm a hardcore gym nut.

But the bottom line is it has nothing to do with singing. Singing is primarily about your ears, and secondly about coordinating your breath and vocal placement. It has nothing to do with exercise.

You don't get to be a better singer by going to the gym. Period. You get to be a better singer by singing and doing singing exercises.

• Members

Bull{censored} Duke! Your physical health makes you a better singer, stamina and aerobic resistance play a major role in a singers performance and exercising makes you better at both. Try doing a gig for over a couple of hours, jumping around the stage and singing if you are horrible shape!

Rod

• Members

If it's one thing I've learned in my search for shortcuts, tricks and magic, then it is that there is no shortcuts. There is no magic formula. There are no tricks. But there is the correct way and there is a wrong way. It is often banging the head doing it the wrong way who makes you desperate for easy ways to do things. Like snake oil and those magic advertisment as "Look like a bodybuilder after 5 mins workout daily for 2 weeks"....

I know, I been screewed again and again... :(

Now I know, there are no top world runners who had stumbled on a magic ecercise who makes them faster than others by running a few meters now and then. They all run crazy lots of miles every week. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!!! NONE of them run half as much as the others and do a few heavy weighted squats in stead to save time...

That said, if you try something new, like a excercise or a method, it should work very soon and you should see improvement fast. Else it is a wrong path and wasted time. Buy methods, do excercises, ear training, work out a six pack in addition, but DO SING!

For those who don't beileve me: Try a week singing 10 hours daily focusing on your most difficult songs.

• Members
Try doing a gig for over a couple of hours, jumping around the stage and singing if you are horrible shape!

Rod

Actually I know a few guys who does and never work out. But they practice jumping on the stage and singing which is much better time spent, cause that's what you'll get good at. When I started my rock band I was not able to sing and move at the same time, even if I was in very good shape. After a few gigs it became more natural, because I did it. You get good at what you do!

• Moderators

I have similar experience. I once was in terrible shape and spent all time on singing. Later in life I found out I'd stop smoking, working out and live healthy. I had a period where I did a lot of running and was in excellent shape. Not good, not very good, but excellent. Later I started lifting weights and worked on strength for a few years. These days I work out every day with weights and cardio (mostly running and swimming)

Bottom line: I can find NO relationship with physical health and singing. Other than physical health = better mind focus etc...

To be a good singer you must sing a lot! To be a good athlete you must work out. It's that simple. There are many other good reasons for working out though...Also a myth, just like fat people are good singer cause of size.

The main reason why a bodybuilder physique won't work for singing is because there's usually too much neck tension and also the lower body muscles will be too bulky and stiff. Singers need to have some flexibility in order coordinate the breath.

Also physical exercise WILL help singing, it actually takes some body strength in order to sing well, especially for singing high notes in full voice.

But you have to remember, physical exercise is supplemental to good singing. There's nothing that can replace a good foundation in singing technique!

• Members

The main reason why a bodybuilder physique won't work for singing is because there's usually too much neck tension and also the lower body muscles will be too bulky and stiff. Singers need to have some flexibility in order coordinate the breath.

Are all bodybuilders tensed in their necks??:eek:

Do you really think that bodybuilders flex their muscles all the time and aren't able to release tension??

No no, this is totally wrong, and as I said one of the myths about singing. The next thing is that bodybuilders have less IQ because the muscles take the place of the brain?

• Members

Actually I know a few guys who does and never work out. But they practice jumping on the stage and singing which is much better time spent, cause that's what you'll get good at. When I started my rock band I was not able to sing and move at the same time, even if I was in very good shape. After a few gigs it became more natural, because I did it. You get good at what you do!

Beacuse you trained your body for the physical needs required to do that. You don't think that the few guys you know would be even better if they were fit?

You can have all the training in the world and be the most technique versed singer out there, if you are out of shape you will not perform as well as you can if you are fit, period.

I also want to disagree with Davie here, I do some very heavy lifting with lots of power movements and am as flexible as any one, I can do full splits, etc don't think that you can develop muscle mass without flexibilty, you would ripp your body to shreds. After a set of deep heavy squats I feel as relaxed as a baby in mom's arms, there is no tension.

Rod

• Members

Anyway, here's a good article for you guys to read.

lol this article was good for a few laughs.

Lawrence describes the effects of marijuana ("weed" or "pot") smoking:

The hard palate is reddened. The soft palate and the uvula have that whitened surface look you see when you drop egg white into hot water and the protein first begins to coagulate. The edges of the vocal folds are reddened, and there is a slightly dry, nonproductive cough. . . .Pack-a-day smokers of tobacco will sometimes show those findings after a few months, but those on weed will be unmistakably there after a very short time. And the voice loses its brilliance and its cutting edge.21

heheheheh reefer madness! stay off weed, kids!

i like this one too

...further advises against weightlifting which tends to overdevelop the muscles of the neck and the adductors of the vocal folds.9

yes, if you even do bicep curls with 10lbs you're gonna become a no-neck meatmeathead monster. oh no!!!!!!

obviously this expert has no idea what the word "weightlifting" even means, less knowledge about how to apply it.

i cant believe you fall for this crap davie

• Moderators

I think "weightlifting" is referring to the more extreme levels.

Don't take it to heart, I'm not advising against weightlifting. Just do it moderately, not to the extreme. I still do weights since I tend to be on the lean side.

But anyway, if you're managing fine, then just keep at what you're doing. :)

• Members

Do you think getting half an hour a few times a week on an elliptical is something that can complement vocal training?

Do you do any physical exercise? And if so, which ones do you do?

That elliptical is worth a try.

I exercise to break up the fluid in my lungs and cough it out. It's stretching exercise, reaching for the stars and bending left and right. I sometimes do jumping jacks when I am in the park. I yell a letter of the alphabet with each jumping jack, starting with "A" and ending on "Z". Then I sing a few phrases, try to get the sound right.

Riding a bicycle might improve stamina.

• Members

I would disagree with that. being in better health and better physical shape will make a difference. You need to think that you would not be able to sing as well as you can, if you were in worse physical shape.... not that it hasn't helped you o be in shape.

Archived