See is mixed voice the same as covering?

• Members

Here's what's goin' on: a lot of {censored} I do has high f#4 to g4 and maybe even a4. What I do most of the time is sort of belt, but it sounds like {censored}, and I have no control over it. By control, I mean I can hit a note, say G4, but can't do a fluid line where it goes g4-g4-g4-f4

So, I need to develop control and actual non-belt ability in that range. I have this tone where it is sort of placed right on top of the upper-back part of the roof-of-my-mouth, and I think this is mixed/cover/whatever b/c I can somewhat control it, and it's not as loud as a belt. It also sounds much smoother, but it's not falsetto-y.

What is this? Is this mixed or cover? is mixed the same as cover? what the hell.

• Members

You also want to think about shifting your vowel sounds a little when heading up to that high belt. Certain vowels can't live in that space and need to be modified. Brett Manning's example: Rockets red glare can become Rockets rid glire

I'm not sure that a mixed or head voice would work well with the kind of aggressive punk that you do, Duke. Michael Jackson is all head voice, Joe Strummer not so much....

• Members

Joe Strummer maybe not, but Glenn Danzig used a a lot of mixed and head voice from what I can tell. Two different styles of punk singing, but I never found the Misfits to not sound aggressive and just plain "punk".

According to Jaime Vendera, Glenn Danzig sings with a raised Larynx and somewhat of a "Belt".

Actually, Glenn Danzig is one of my favorite singers.

• Members

Glenn does use a little covered/mix on his "howls" and when he's screaming "ooohhhh" but when he's doing lyrical {censored}, he's belting. This is old-misfits era. Great voice.

"New" Danzig, he never sings above standard baritone. His voice is usually lost in the mix in this range, and I can never make out any of the lyrics. Don't like it so much.

As for raised/lowered larynx, beats the hell outta me.

• Members

Here's what's goin' on: a lot of {censored} I do has high f#4 to g4 and maybe even a4. What I do most of the time is sort of belt, but it sounds like {censored}, and I have no control over it. By control, I mean I can hit a note, say G4, but can't do a fluid line where it goes g4-g4-g4-f4

So, I need to develop control and actual non-belt ability in that range. I have this tone where it is sort of placed right on top of the upper-back part of the roof-of-my-mouth, and I
think
this is mixed/cover/whatever b/c I can somewhat control it, and it's not as loud as a belt. It also sounds much smoother, but it's not falsetto-y.

What is this? Is this mixed or cover? is mixed the same as cover? what the hell.

Same. I had a thread about this a little while back. It's hard for me to just hit straight on G4. I've been doing a lot of experiment with tonal placement and I believe this may have a lot to do with it until I can work on maybe this not stronger in my mix.

Archived