How to speak in a Neutral accent?

sasiku

• Moderators

Depends on what country you are talking about. (eg. USA, England, Canada, Australia, etc.)

Usually you can get a good sense of a neutral accent by listening to news broadcasters.

Typically a neutral accent is an accent without much discernible characteristics associated with certain regions.

What is your goal for this? And how does it relate to singing?

• Members

Frequently listening to English spoken by native speakers and repeating them is the best way of learning the correct accent of English. Listening to BBC newsreaders and trying to imitate their accent will also help to improve the English accent.

• Members

There is no universal english accent, if that's what you're looking for. You need to choose one of the different existing ones, preferably western american or London british unless you want people to complain about misunderstanding the lyrics.

In other words, don't aim at a southern american accent (Dolly Parton, Josh Turner, etc) or cockney british (The streets? Dunno their name, but the band that had a one-hit-wonder with 'Dry your eyes, mate'.

• Members

Move to America. You'll get it eventually.

I don't think so. There are plenty of people in America who speak with non-American accents. It's a pretty diverse country. Some British people kinda lose their accents when they sing though... maybe it's just me.

• Members

The English have a really strange way of speaking OUR language, don't they? ;-)

Which was, of course, invented by George Washington?

Actually, to them, WE sound different - "like Australians" so I've heard.

What is "an accent" is in the EAR of the beholder.

They are right to suggest - listen to the newscasts of the country with which you wish to clearly communicate.

• Members

Like other people before me have suggested, you need to listen and practice. I bought cassette tapes at a used book store that were made for this exact purpose. The tapes reeled through several dialogues of different accents while I listened and tried to follow along out loud sometimes. Tape record yourself and compare yourself to native speakers. I practice this way all the time. And it really does help! It does me anyway, ha ha.

• Members

I can assure you that there is no such thing as a "neutral" accent. Everyone has an accent of some type, and everyone's sounds weird to everyone else. Even among "native speakers" (which, for English, we could assume would be natural-born Englishmen) there is so much variation that there isn't even a single "English accent". Queen's English (also known as "posh") sounds completely different from Scouse or Cockney. So which should we consider neutral?

Now there is what is generalized as "English" or "American" accents, generally Queen's English and Mid-Atlantic, respectively. If it's Queen's English you want to learn, then the best way is probably just to listen to lots and lots of Londoners talking. Make sure that those you are listening to speak in the dialect/accent you're trying to learn, though.

Archived