How long does YOUR warm-up last

J.Paul

• Members

We did a noon vocal rehersal a few weeks ago and I was still good at 8pm showtime.

I warmed up Sunday night (no show that night.....just to gauge the damage from the previous night's hotel AC), slept 7 hours, woke up and was still good as soon as I woke up. Chest to mix to head w/ complete control (or at least as much control as I have normally).

My vocal warm-ups are still effective 7-8 hours later? Even through hard sleep??

How long are YOUR vocal warm-ups effective for?

• Moderators

Usually warm-up for 30 to 60 mins. Or sometimes I do multiple short warm-ups throughout the day. The voice would be okay for most of the day, until basically my body gets tired. Usually by the time my eyes are tired, my voice tires around the same time. Then its pretty much it for the night.

• Members

I usually just sing in the car on the way to the show lol. I'm ok until i fall asleep. After I wake up my voice is usually pretty rough until midway through the day. I'm a karate teacher as well as musician, so a lot of times i'll play a late friday show and won't get to sleep until 4am, have to wake up and teach at 9 to 1, then go do another show saturday night. my voice is usually scratchy from the time I wake up until 3-4 hours later on days like that.

• Members

Good stuff.

Keep it coming folks,

It looks like my experience might not be unique to me, I might start warming up earlier in the day just to get it out of the way (and be more considerate of my fellow hotel travelers......).....

• Members

I think its also a good idea to include physical exercise to your warm-up routine. I noticed that when my body is tired my voice isn't as strong.

This is a good tip. I just recently started going back to gym, and physical exercise has helped my stamina a lot...not vocally, but I can make it 3-4 sets a night without feeling like I'm gonna have a heart attack, lol

Archived