Screaming/yelling/whatever you want to call it...

staticsound

• Members

Hey guys, so I need a little help. I can sing gritty pretty well, but my band is wanting to add some Manson and Rob Zombie to the set and I don't want to try those really guttural screams unless I can figure out how to do them correctly. Any tips or advice, please send my way asap. Lol

• Members

You can't rock properly without wearing yourself out, so even if you find the best of techniques, please don't sing that way more than you absolutely have to.

That is all, as I haven't got the slightest clue about screaming!

• Members

I almost posted some old, grumpy-sounding comments. I used to listen to that sort of stuff, but it just got so played out. Someone will recommend the Melissa... something DVDs, but most of her stuff is very basic vocal exercises and bands saying how useful her techniques are. Not worth the cash.

• Members

I have nothing useful to add, as CLEARLY I am no expert on this particular style of singing. lol. But Manson scares me. The real life guy seems nice actually, but his persona...the Manson persona...freaks me OUT!

Yeah it's funny. The guy is very intelligent, judging by interviews I've seen with him...like on that "Bowling for Columbine" documentary for example. Even his Manson persona has no shock value nowadays! I need to find one where he's not screaming his guts out, Dope Show comes to mind.....hmmmmm :lol:

• Members

Good luck man I've been singing for years in heavier bands but it's tough to do. Best I can say is let the mic do the work and don't actually scream - as in your volume should be close to your normal singing voice so you don't blow it out. If it's coming from your diaphragm support you should be in good shape. Just don't push with your throat, stay open.

• Members

Good luck man I've been singing for years in heavier bands but it's tough to do. Best I can say is let the mic do the work and don't actually scream - as in your volume should be close to your normal singing voice so you don't blow it out. If it's coming from your diaphragm support you should be in good shape. Just don't push with your throat, stay open.

Please do not put the gain on the mic up so the signal distort or swallow the mic. This make the lamest sound I know and truly shouts "I suck at vocal technique!!!!"

It's OK to practice vocals and screams at low level, but learn how to project the sound. It's about using resonance, support and placement so that you get a big sound without any strain.

If you have the Vendera scream and Zen, work with them to learn to produce the sounds (or the noise) without straining. Then try to sing a tone and gradually add the rasp, grit, distortion etc... Also concentrate on lifting the tone up and forward. The grit should also be felt as forward as possible. This way you don't produce the distortion in your throat, and won't blow your voice, as most people do.

Another way to do it is to try to sound like AC/DC, motorhead etc... the way I learned it. Focus on total relexed voice and experiment on altering the sound from big to hooty to twang etc. Let this take time. I used to be frustrated over the fact that I wasn't able to distort notes, worked hard on it and today I distort as much as I want. And many times I realize I have overdone some songs because when I finally could do it, I used loads of it!

• Members

Thanks man. I'm gonna work with the Vendera disc some more and hopefully get it down eventually. It's funny, I can really grit it up with stuff like AIC and Soundgarden, but when it comes to "heavier" stuff I just can't get it to click yet. Thunder Kiss 65 from White Zombie is a good example of the sound I'm trying to get. It's funny, the Bon Scott/Brian Johnson sound I can get as well, it's those low-mid range growling type songs.

• Members

What was the rule..inhale, don't exhale! Whatever that means!

tell one your bandmates to do the screaming parts for you so you don't have to screw your voice over and then just focus on the rest.

Rod

I am liking this approach.

Man this is a really good topic. I have covered Beautiful People before. Manson has a very strange voice.

He is about the only singer I have ever heard where I cannot for the life of me figure out exactly *how* he does what he does to sound like that, and I don't think it is an effect either.

Out of curiosity which Manson and White Zombie tunes are you looking at?

• Members

I am liking this approach.

Man this is a really good topic. I have covered Beautiful People before. Manson has a very strange voice.

He is about the only singer I have ever heard where I cannot for the life of me figure out exactly *how* he does what he does to sound like that, and I don't think it is an effect either.

Out of curiosity which Manson and White Zombie tunes are you looking at?

Yeah, the Manson stuff is interesting, I can't figure out what the hell he's doing? I've pretty much come to the conclusion that he's actually screaming...which makes me think how the hell he was able to do it night after night, back when they were touring.

Beautiful People and Tourniquet were two that we were thinking of possibly doing. As far as Zombie, we get requests for Thunder Kiss 65...which has got some pretty gnarly vox. I can pull off More Human Than Human, but idk about Thunder Kiss..

• Members

If ever I've tried to do weird scream or grunt type noises, it ends up sounding like a cross between a snore and a choking sound, and then I DO end up choking on...what seems to be my own throat. lol

I just end up sounding like a terrified girl.

• Members

The remix of More Human than Human with the synth intro is bitchin. I really like mOBSCENE and This is the New {censored} by Manson, but they are not as well known...

Yeah, I really want to do that one, but I need a synth player for it. I always liked that track he did for one of those Blair Witch movies, Disposable Teens...badass tune!

Archived